Credit Application & SSN

k_nraj

Registered Users (C)
I have applied for a Credit card with citizens bank and got some message that I think it's funny. I'm wondering any one ever got this response! Your credit application is denied because the SSN says "Valid for Work only":confused::confused::confused:.

I told them it says "Valid for work only with DHS Authorization":D:D:D. The experts at this bank were trying to convince me that my SSN is only for Work!

How did they know what your card said? Surely you did not have to present them with a copy of your SSN.

But, as always, when you don't get good service, walk down the street to the next place.

How did they know what your card said? Surely you did not have to present them with a copy of your SSN.

But, as always, when you don't get good service, walk down the street to the next place.

They asked for the copy of the card, since I'm a "NEW" customer!!!

Regardless, is it a valid point that I am not eligible for credit because of this note on the SSN?

The credit system is generally a catch 22. You don't have a history so you don't get a credit card or loan but in order to build a history you need some form of revolving credit to start. But then if you try too many times, the inquiries counts as negative if they are hard pulls which in terms brings your credit score down.

Try a local credit union. They are generally good wth limited history customers. Also you might want to try a department store i.e. Macy's, Kohl's etc. My first 'credit' card was from Macy's and I was new to the country (barely 4 months).

The note on your SSN is not a bar to credit, of course. Personally I would not have given them a copy of it, but that is hindsight. I never was asked for my card.
As to establishing credit: When I came down on TN, my compny got me my own credit card (not a company card) a mortgage and a realtor, -- and paid for the home buying expenses (after housing me for 2 months).

I guess they didn't do that for you. Too bad. Its all part of negociating your hiring. TNers should be more demanding -- even now, nay, especially now.

Forget this bank. Go down the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
The note on your SSN is not a bar to credit, of course. Personally I would not have given them a copy of it, but that is hindsight. I never was asked for my card.
As to establishing credit: When I came down on TN, my compny got me my own credit card (not a company card) a mortgage and a realtor, -- and paid for the home buying expenses (after housing me for 2 months).

I guess they didn't do that for you. Too bad. Its all part of negociating your hiring. TNers should be more demanding -- even now, nay, especially now.

Forget this bank. Go down the street.

Sure Thank You

They ask for SS card because when you don't have any credit history they need something to start the credit history. When you run a credit history check the first time without having any record, it comes back as invalid SSN in credit bureau report.
Try with some other bank, someone will extend the credit to you. Don't try more than 2-3 though, because it can affect your score.

Last edited by a moderator: