What proofs do you need as a dependent of a green card holder ?

Marco Jahn

Hello,
As far as I know, the requirements are different in different greencard categories. While for the DV lottery you have to prove at least an existing high school equivalent high school diploma, such a thing is not required for family-based greencard.

Our situation is like this: My wife is in the EB3 greencard process. Currently only the I485 is pending. The I140, which had me in it as a dependent, was approved. A few weeks ago we now filed the I824 for Consular Processing. So I have to go to the consulate here in Germany for the interview. Do I have to prove my high school diploma as well or is nobody interested in that for dependent persons ?
The reason is like this: I have a high school equivalent diploma, but lost my diploma sometime in the last 30 years. Unfortunately, it's not that easy to get a copy since the school had closed by then and no one knows where the old records are by now. Various authorities, archives and ministries argue about where the records of closed schools are stored.
So far this was no problem here in Germany: I did 2 vocational trainings (I can prove this) and for both of them the high school equivalent school leaving certificate was necessary. So if you can prove that you have a vocational qualification, you are proving that you also have the school-leaving qualification required for it.

Hello,
As far as I know, the requirements are different in different greencard categories. While for the DV lottery you have to prove at least an existing high school equivalent high school diploma, such a thing is not required for family-based greencard.
This is not true. DV based dependents/derivatives are not required to proof they meet the educational requirements. Demonstrating one meets the educational requirement is applicable to the main selectee alone. The only time a derivative may be required to demonstrate they meet the educational requirement is when the main selectee cross charges to the spouse's country of birth.