Tired waiting for green card

venkatdabri

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
My GC priority date is Aug 31st, 2009. I am tired waiting for the date to become current and I am thinking of moving to another country. I recently heard that even if I move to another country I can still avail of my GC priority date by doing consular processing. So if I lose my H1B status I can still get my GC from outside the country. Is that correct?

So how does the process work? Let's say my GC priority date becomes current and I am outside of the country and don't have a H1B. Will I have to get a new job from a company in USA in order to get my GC processing done? Or can I just go to the US consulate of that country and then get my GC processed?

So how does the process work? Let's say my GC priority date becomes current and I am outside of the country and don't have a H1B. Will I have to get a new job from a company in USA in order to get my GC processing done? Or can I just go to the US consulate of that country and then get my GC processed?
As long as the petitioning company continues to offer to employ you after you immigrate, you can do Consular Processing at a US consulate to get an immigrant visa.

As long as the petitioning company continues to offer to employ you after you immigrate, you can do Consular Processing at a US consulate to get an immigrant visa.
Does it have to be the same company or can a new company sponsor me?

Does it have to be the same company or can a new company sponsor me?
It would have to be same company that petitioned you (unless you are working in the US in a similar job, which you are not). If you want to immigrate on a different company's offer that company would have to file an I-140 petition for you, and you would have to immigrate on that petition.

So if I go with a new company when my priority date becomes current. Do they have to once again start my green card process with LCA filing etc.? How much time will it take to legally be able to work again?