Change employer what should I do?

hmel

I am Canadian working under TN and thinking of changing employer. My current TN will expire in 2 years. My potential new employer is a small company but my role will be basically the same. Should I leave US and come back to apply at the border (given the covid-19, I dont wanna risk my life) or can I apply new TN via mail? I am still working for the current employer, fyi.

Apply for TN by mail. I-129. Be sure to ask for CONCURRENT employment, so that you can keep both jobs going until you decide if #2 is viable and better.

Apply for TN by mail. I-129. Be sure to ask for CONCURRENT employment, so that you can keep both jobs going until you decide if #2 is viable and better.

Hi Nelsona,

I would like to take a moment to appreciate you on behalf of this forum for all the good work you been doing.

Can we request for concurrent employment when we visit border in person for new TN application??
also do you think of any additional requirements when visiting mexico border for TN application by canadian citizen ??

Thank you again Nelsona for your quick response. When in person oral communication is the only way to request for concurrent employment right??

Hi can_kumar

Good luck and please share your experience after it is done.
I assume you did not prefer mail-in application due to long waiting time.

When I apply for concurrent TNs, am I supposed to receive 2 i94s if done correctly? One time I went to the POE and asked to add a part time employer, the officer simply took away my existing i94 and issued a new one. Did they make a mistake? Should I speak to a lawyer to rectify that?

You will receive ONE I-94 by mail, and the other one will still be valid.
Yes, the officer erred in taking your I-94 at the border. Technically you lost your right to the first job, and would have had to correct this.

There is a website E_verify or something like this. When you enter passport no staff it will show status of i94. Maybe you can see 2 i94 online. Just thinking

Hi all,

Finally I got my TN at southern border today.
It was a very pleasant experience i can say.
Only questions were 1) who are the clients for my employer. 2) How long is the project duration.
Only thing i was unhappy is they did not consider it as concurrent employer though i mentioned at my initial talk.
I think southern border officers do not have knowledge about concurrent employment. officer replied that she checked with her supervisor
and said that at this moment direction is to keep only one TN it seems.

on a whole its a good experience.

I assume you cannot work for current employee anymore from this point forward. I am wondering if you have unused vacation days and tell the current company you are leaving for vacation and then you will quit at the end of vacation day so that you can get paid for unused vacations. I am wondering if it will be legal

This was poorly handled by the POE officers. To fix this, one would need to contact the local USCIS office, and have them "resurrect" the old I-94.
Otherwise one is not allowed to work at old job until then.

Unused vacation would be paid regardless, since this is not work, and is legally owed to you.

Hi All
I’m Mexican working in the US, my current TN will expired in Nov 22, 2020, but my I-94 will expired in Nov 22, 2022. I’m thinking of Changing employer, my roll will be basically the same, Can I do that? Can I be working in both jobs until get the new I-94?
thank you

Building on this thread-
Like some of you, I am currently on a TN, and looking to change my employer under the same nonimmigrant classification. I want to give 2 weeks notice once my future I-94 is approved.
1. When my new employer fills out the i-129, the requested action should be "e. Extend the status of a nonimmigrant classification...", correct?
2. For the "Change of Employer" vs "New concurrent employment" checkbox:
I was told the new employer was to check the "Change of Employer" box, and once this new application was approved, I would still be able to give my 2 weeks notice and legally work at my current employer until switching over to my new employer (in reasonable time).
Is there any information/experience others have on this to be true? Or would my current TN be immediately terminated upon approval of the i-129 petition from the new employer? I can't find any clear information on this on the USCIS website.

Thanks in advance!