POE and coronavirus, border closure?

shaohahaha2018

Hello,

I just got a new job and currently waiting for Lawyer's TN letter.

I am planning to get my TN visa at pearson airport POE. My question is whether they are still processing POE TN visas due to the coronavirus? Would be really helpful if anyone could share some recent experiences.

Thank you!!

Obviously there is no experience based on a rule that was released an hour ago.
The land/sea/air entries are open to Cdn and US citizens and permanent residents, and as such a Cdn wishing to apply or enter on TN at a POE will be able to. The question is for how long one will be able to do this, and how 14-day self-isolating once you cross the border (in either direction) will impact one's ability to go to work. So you would want to get this done asap.

The answers will not be found here, but rather from US/Cdn Govt channels.

Obviously there is no experience based on a rule that was released an hour ago.
The land/sea/air entries are open to Cdn and US citizens and permanent residents, and as such a Cdn wishing to apply or enter on TN at a POE will be able to. The question is for how long one will be able to do this, and how 14-day self-isolating once you cross the border (in either direction) will impact one's ability to go to work. So you would want to get this done asap.

The answers will not be found here, but rather from US/Cdn Govt channels.

Appreciate the quick reply. Yes I posted this to hope if anyone will be able to share their experience in the coming days/weeks after this new restriction.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that once we get a couple of experiences, the process will change once again and make those moot.

The US has so far not announced any restrictions on people who have been to Canada. So unless you have been to Mainland China, Iran, the Schengen Area, UK, or Ireland in the last 14 days, you should have no problem being admitted to the US currently, by land or air.

Canada is restricting entries to Canada to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, but that doesn't affect anyone's ability to enter the US.

Border is closed for non essential travel. That is for shoppers and tourism. After everything you will go for quarantine of 14 days.

looks like trudeau said "essential" healthcare professionals can cross the border, how about the rest of us on work visas?

I don’t know for sure but I can tell you that workers in many parts of the US are staying home and avoiding travel, some voluntarily and some under orders. This is a public health crisis and there is a big picture to consider here. If you don’t need to travel, don’t.

Thanks. Where did you read the tweet ? Please share.
I looked up the Canada Border Services Agency twitter account and found the info below.
If you are referring to the info below then I believe here they were tweeting Canadian work permits and student visa , not US work permits like TN.

Apology to immigration.com admin if I broke the forum rules by pasting a twitter content.
----xx
Travel for the purpose of obtaining immigration services is non-essential.
If you are in Canada, and are seeking to travel to the border in order to make an application for a work permit, study permit or permanent residence, you are asked to consider Federal and Provincial guidelines for self-isolation and social distancing. Do not travel to the border for these services until further notice.
If you are currently in Canada as a visitor, student or worker,you can apply online to IRCC to extend your temporary resident status.By doing so, you can continue to stay, study or work in Canada while your application is being processed. This is referred to as implied status, and as long as you apply before your current document expires, your current immigration authorizations and conditions remain unchanged. In-Canada services are available through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
----xx

Last edited:
I looked up the Canada Border Services Agency twitter account and found the info below.
If you are referring to the info below then I believe here they were tweeting Canadian work permits and student visa , not US work permits like TN.

Apology to immigration.com admin if I broke the forum rules by pasting a twitter content.
----xx
Travel for the purpose of obtaining immigration services is non-essential.
If you are in Canada, and are seeking to travel to the border in order to make an application for a work permit, study permit or permanent residence, you are asked to consider Federal and Provincial guidelines for self-isolation and social distancing. Do not travel to the border for these services until further notice.
If you are currently in Canada as a visitor, student or worker,you can apply online to IRCC to extend your temporary resident status.By doing so, you can continue to stay, study or work in Canada while your application is being processed. This is referred to as implied status, and as long as you apply before your current document expires, your current immigration authorizations and conditions remain unchanged. In-Canada services are available through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
----xx
”Travel for the purpose of obtaining immigration services is non-essential.” does not say only Canadian immigration services are non essential. Why do you think getting a TN visa counts as essential travel? “Do not travel to the border for these services until further notice.” seems pretty clear.

From the article they are more focused on detailing restricting activities (shopping, tourism, snowbird...etc) rather than on listing allowed categories. It's more useful and appropriate given the short turnaround at this time.

Assuming that work visa/status are not affected (whether existing or new application), I wonder if B1 will also be allowed

From the article they are more focused on detailing restricting activities (shopping, tourism, snowbird...etc) rather than on listing allowed categories. It's more useful and appropriate given the short turnaround at this time.

Assuming that work visa/status are not affected (whether existing or new application), I wonder if B1 will also be allowed
From where I’m sitting - under ”shelter in place” orders where people can’t even travel from their homes to existing places of work unless they are deemed essential, the “usefulness” and “appropriateness” of restricting only a couple of activities seems pointless tbh. so much for flattening the curve.

If they don't go by restricted activities and instead by visa category instead, it would put a broad ban on everyone such as commercial truckers using B1 to enter, a healthcare worker on TN...etc and just create a logistical nightmare.

I think without datapoints it's hard to really know the impact and usefulness of the restriction as an outsider. How many people cross daily on B2 vs other visa types in order to estimate how much the traffic the travel restriction can really curtail