• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Success story! [Re: Marriage before DV interview, please help!]

Hi fthnm2005,

Thanks for sharing your story. I have a question about my current situation regarding the DV Lottery Visa and am hoping you can help. My Fiance has just received his letter for his interview appointment which is in 4 weeks.

We became engaged between him receiving his first NL and this interview appointment letter. When he completed the first lot of documents that were sent back to the KCC he did mention my name and stated that we were in a defacto relationship.

My question is, do I still get to move to the United States with him next year as his Fiancee?

Hi fthnm2005,

Thanks for sharing your story. I have a question about my current situation regarding the DV Lottery Visa and am hoping you can help. My Fiance has just received his letter for his interview appointment which is in 4 weeks.

We became engaged between him receiving his first NL and this interview appointment letter. When he completed the first lot of documents that were sent back to the KCC he did mention my name and stated that we were in a defacto relationship.

My question is, do I still get to move to the United States with him next year as his Fiancee?

Simple answer is NO !!
You got to MARRY him BEFORE his intvw, and his DS230 should have you as his WIFE, and you should have your own DS230 filed as his dependent spouse (derivative)

Marry him asap or talk to embassy and postpone the intvw and get marry. Where is the embassy? ppl who know the workings of that post may be able to help you better.

HOWEVER...remember this....if you marry and wants to seek derivative benefits, you need irrefutable, well documented evidence to show that your relationship is genuine.
If you have documented proof to show that a relationship exist before the 1st NL (better if before he entered eDV), it will be a smooth sail !!
Otherwise even his chances (as a single) are jeopardized.

Best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple answer is NO !!
You got to MARRY him BEFORE his intvw, and his DS230 should have you as his WIFE, and you should have your own DS230 filed as his dependent spouse (derivative)

Marry him asap or talk to embassy and postpone the intvw and get marry. Where is the embassy? ppl who know the workings of that post may be able to help you better.

HOWEVER...remember this....if you marry and wants to seek derivative benefits, you need irrefutable, well documented evidence to show that your relationship is genuine.
If you have documented proof to show that a relationship exist before the 1st NL (better if before he entered eDV), it will be a smooth sail !!
Otherwise even his chances (as a single) are jeopardized.

Best!

Perfect Answer.

Similar Situation

Hello, everyone!

I was selected as a winner of the Diversity Visa Program and I was planning to marry my fiancée this August (she is a non-EU national residing in Europe so it will take about a month get the necessary marriage documentation).

Should I wait until then to file the KCC forms or it will be smarter to apply as a single and then update the KCC and clear out the situation during the visa interview?

Thank you!

Important question

Simple answer is NO !!

H! 2 days ago I discovered to have been selected as winner of the DV Lottery! Super Happy!
Now you just have to check the "Entrant Status Check". You don't receive any more the letter.
So with my boyfriend (we are together from already 5 years) we are thinking to get married...but here my question:

during the next days I have to send my document to the KCC (Form DSP-122 and Form DS-230, Part I and II, + photos). Should I send the documents as single now and then ask to change them at the interview when will be already married? or should I say to the KCC that we are planning to get married? or should I get married and only after that send the document to the KCC?

Please let me know. I hope everything will work!
thanks!!

Hello guys I am from sierra leone west Africa I need help, my wife won the Dv 2018 but she enter as single and when got selected we married we got all documents intact before getting appointment for interview , all documents to proof our relationship is genuine. She was qualified 5 passes and with a HTC certificate from college and 5 years teaching experience. We have known each other for 2 years before she become selected .we did our best but the visa was denied as we were bit nervous .what to do next?

Hello guys I am from sierra leone west Africa I need help, my wife won the Dv 2018 but she enter as single and when got selected we married we got all documents intact before getting appointment for interview , all documents to proof our relationship is genuine. She was qualified 5 passes and with a HTC certificate from college and 5 years teaching experience. We have known each other for 2 years before she become selected .we did our best but the visa was denied as we were bit nervous .what to do next?

Sounds like the CO denied the case because they did not believe the marriage was genuine (i.e. not just for the Green Card). Is that correct? You had a chance to prove that the relationship was real, but failed. There is no formal appeal process so unless you think something has change that will suddenly prove your marriage beyond a doubt, they will not reconsider your case.