Financial analyst

Financial Analyst is not a TN category. What is yoru degree in, and how does that degree fit with (a) a TN category, and (b) the job you are seeking?

In recent years, Financial analyst petitions by those with Economics degrees are no longer being approved. So, you may need to find a job that is truly for an economist.

Last edited:
Financial Analyst is not a TN category. What is yoru degree in, and how does that degree fit with (a) a TN category, and (b) the job you are seeking?

In recent years, Financial analyst petitions by those with Economics degrees are no longer being approved. So, you may need to find a job that is truly for an economist.
Thanks for the reply .
I have a finance degree and took some accounting courses. My recent job is releated to accounting. My best choice is to find a accountant job. But I am really interested in this financial analyst role.

Thanks for the reply .
I have a finance degree and took some accounting courses. My recent job is releated to accounting. My best choice is to find a accountant job. But I am really interested in this financial analyst role.

What is the content of the financial analyst role? Is this a job related to capital markets (investment banking or corporate finance for example) or is it in FP&A for example. Many FP&A positions even some accounting jobs are also posted as financial analyst positions.

Occupational outlook handbook mentions management accountants under accountant category and as far as I can see the tasks mentioned here are tasks posted in FP&A job postings (budgeting, performance management, cost accounting etc.)

Management accountants, also called cost, managerial, industrial, corporate, or private accountants, record and analyze the financial information of the organizations for which they work. The information that management accountants prepare is intended for internal use by business managers, not by the general public.
Management accountants often work on budgeting and performance evaluation. They also may help organizations plan the cost of doing business. Some may work with financial managers on asset management, which involves planning and selecting financial investments such as stocks, bonds, and real estate.

My understanding and opinion about these categories is that the essence is more important than the wording. For example an accountant especially on the management accounting side may need to write SQL queries and may need to work with a lot of data in order to perform tasks like budgeting, performance management etc. But if he only performs data analysis for a finance team then he is not a management accountant but a data analyst. Or a management accountant may work in planning and selecting financial investments especially in an FP&A department with in a corporation but if he is only managing a portfolio for a fund then he is a portfolio manager not a management accountant anymore.

Obviously you would need a related degree or certificate to be able to apply in Accountant category as in an application in any other category.