Dont understand visa bulletin

Marco Jahn

Hello!
I have an understanding problem with the Visa Bulletin. My wife is in the green card process (she is in Premium Processing of I140). Because category EB3 in the "DATES FOR FILING OF EMPLOYMENT-BASED VISA APPLICATIONS" table was "Current", we were able to submit the I140 and the I485 together. That was in April 2018.

What exactly does it mean if the statement in the "FINAL ACTION DATES FOR EMPLOYMENT-BASED PREFERENCE CASES" table in the September bulletin has now switched back from Current to a date in the past (November 1, 2016)? Does this mean that I485 processing is stopped until the priority date (= date on which PERM was applied for) has been reached? Does this apply to all I485 or only those that are submitted from now on?

You shouldn't be looking at the two visa bulletin charts from the Department of State. For Adjustment of Status (I-485), you need to be looking at USCIS's one chart. The dates for EB3 this month are not much different from April 2018. (Only EB1 has dates that were current and now are not.)

USCIS & Dept of State were advised by congress to come out with solution to wasting too many visas in past. Date of filing & final action dates are different in sense where date of filing is just intake of applications whereas final action dates are more like actual adjudication by USCIS or Dept of state. Date of filing cases are intake cases but cannot be approved unless visa number are available whereas final action date cases can be approved

What exactly does it mean if the statement in the "FINAL ACTION DATES FOR EMPLOYMENT-BASED PREFERENCE CASES" table in the September bulletin has now switched back from Current to a date in the past (November 1, 2016)?

I am not a lawyer, but here is my understanding from researching the internet. Once you have a priority date, this date must be earlier than the cutoff date in the bulletin in order for a green card to be issued.