• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

When to submit DS-260 form to get an interview in July 2018?

mlearnx

Hi guys,

I am so excited to be selected for DV2018 with a case number EU000035xx. The winning the lottery has changed our plan very much, as we have never expected to be selected nor planned to move to the U.S.

I'd appreciate if you could answer to a very important question to us. Due to some reasons we want to delay our relocation as much as possible, preferably until July 2018.

1) Can we delay our relocation by submitting DS-260 forms at a later time?
2) What is the average time that takes from winning to the getting of the visa with 35xx number ?

Thank you very much beforehand for your answers.

Best,
mlearnx

Last edited:
While it may be possible to guesstimate when the interview may be scheduled, no one can tell you anything without your disclosing the region you're charge able to.

If you wait until Jan/Feb 2018 to submit, you may be able to delay your interview. KCC takes about 3 - 4 months on average to process the DS 260 form before scheduling an interview even if the CN was already current before or as at the time of DS form submission.

Thank you for your response very much.

I am concerned with the following statement:

Selection does not guarantee that you will receive a visa because the
number of applicants selected is greater than the number of visas available.

I'm afraid that if we submit late, there might not be a visa available.

Thank you for your response very much.

I am concerned with the following statement:

Selection does not guarantee that you will receive a visa because the
number of applicants selected is greater than the number of visas available.

I'm afraid that if we submit late, there might not be a visa available.

Relax. Your case number will mean a summer 2018 interview anyway, but as Mom says, delaying your DS260 submission is the best way to be sure of the interview month you want. Visa will not run out in July. If fact, if your case number gets current (which is should) then you don't have to worry about visas running out. They release case numbers slowly to make sure they have remaining visas.
I would suggest Feb/Mar submission.

@Britsimon - thanks for your message a lot.

What do you mean by "Your case number will mean a summer 2018 interview anyway" ?

How long does it take to process DS260 forms on average?

Best,
ml

@Britsimon - thanks for your message a lot.

What do you mean by "Your case number will mean a summer 2018 interview anyway" ?

How long does it take to process DS260 forms on average?

Best,
ml

The cases are spaced out over the year, controlled by announcements in the visa bulletin. Your number is medium - high, so even with a DS260 submission tomorrow and assuming no processing time you would still have to wait until the VB announced number is above your number.

DS260s actually only take a few weeks for processing. However, because many people submit their DS260s early in the year, backlogs build up and then "processing time" seems to take about 4 to 5 months. In reality, once backlogs are reduced (by about Feb/March), cases are process quite fast (which is why I would submit in March, if I were you).

The cases are spaced out over the year, controlled by announcements in the visa bulletin. Your number is medium - high, so even with a DS260 submission tomorrow and assuming no processing time you would still have to wait until the VB announced number is above your number.

DS260s actually only take a few weeks for processing. However, because many people submit their DS260s early in the year, backlogs build up and then "processing time" seems to take about 4 to 5 months. In reality, once backlogs are reduced (by about Feb/March), cases are process quite fast (which is why I would submit in March, if I were you).

I very much appreciate your response. Now things are getting clear.
My last question - why my number (3500) is considered high medium ?

I very much appreciate your response. Now things are getting clear.
My last question - why my number (3500) is considered high medium ?

My bad - I read it as 35XXX.

Yours is low - so delaying the DS260 is essential to achieve your desired interview date.

@Britsimon

Thanks!

Statistics from the past five years show that around 5000 people win DV lottery annually from our country.

Does this statistic tell that my 3500 could still be high medium for the region?
As a result I may be scheduled late sometime in 2018?

I'm sorry to ask you again. This one is the real last one:).
I'm not living in the states now, and will be applying from abroad.

Regards,
ml

@Britsimon

Thanks!

Statistics from the past five years show that around 5000 people win DV lottery annually from our country.

Does this statistic tell that my 3500 could still be high medium for the region?
As a result I may be scheduled late sometime in 2018?

I'm sorry to ask you again. This one is the real last one:).
I'm not living in the states now, and will be applying from abroad.

Regards,
ml

Your 3500 is within all of Europe, not just your country.

Just discovered this forum.
I am dvselectee with a case number 2018EU17xx. Seems to be a very low one then.
And I've already sent my DS260 last weekend.
If I understand correctly, that means I have a low number and chances are high that my case will even be processed this year?

Just discovered this forum.
I am dvselectee with a case number 2018EU17xx. Seems to be a very low one then.
And I've already sent my DS260 last weekend.
If I understand correctly, that means I have a low number and chances are high that my case will even be processed this year?

Yes that's a possibility.

Thank you for your speedy reply Sm1smom.
From what I googled now, it looks like the first 2NLs go out late August with interviews taking place in October.
So, seems to be pretty speedy in my case :)

Thank you for your speedy reply Sm1smom.
From what I googled now, it looks like the first 2NLs go out late August with interviews taking place in October.
So, seems to be pretty speedy in my case :)

Yes, that is correct

Hi all,
Happy New Year!!!

I asked this question in May 7, 2017. Oh, time goes fast :).
Just to follow up - Eventually, I did delay my submission until January 10, 2018.

Now I am kind of trying to predict the consequence of my late submission.

I'd appreciate if you could give some answers:

1) How long do you think we need to wait until the interview schedule with a case number 39xx.
2) Is there any kind of risk to lose our green-card opportunity just because submitted very late?

Our case is 2018EU36XX from UZBEKISTAN.

Thanks beforehand!
Hero.

Hi all,
Happy New Year!!!

I asked this question in May 7, 2017. Oh, time goes fast :).
Just to follow up - Eventually, I did delay my submission until January 10, 2018.

Now I am kind of trying to predict the consequence of my late submission.

I'd appreciate if you could give some answers:

1) How long do you think we need to wait until the interview schedule with a case number 39xx.
2) Is there any kind of risk to lose our green-card opportunity just because submitted very late?

Our case is 2018EU36XX from UZBEKISTAN.

Thanks beforehand!
Hero.

Well, they seem to have sped up their system this year. Saw a report of someone who submitted a DS late November and got an interview notification in January after the VB was published, so seeing as your number is current, you may be getting one within the next 6 or 8 weeks...please keep us updated!