• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Sm1smom
Thank you. I just check the AOS package. A quick question about Form G-1145 E-Notification of Application/ Acceptance Letter. Also I-797 Notice of Action - indicating current visa status.
Where do we get these forms and when do we start to fill them out.
My wife's visa is expired but when we applied for asylum it was still active. We received a letter that state that our asylum is pending we may stay in the US until our asylum is finalised. I just want to get clarity on everything.

1. what do we have to write in previous USA travel? In length, we mention the number of months till current date?
2. is Alien Registration number same as I94 number? or is the Alien number USCIS number?

Sm1smom
Thank you. I just check the AOS package. A quick question about Form G-1145 E-Notification of Application/ Acceptance Letter. Also I-797 Notice of Action - indicating current visa status.
Where do we get these forms and when do we start to fill them out.
My wife's visa is expired but when we applied for asylum it was still active. We received a letter that state that our asylum is pending we may stay in the US until our asylum is finalised. I just want to get clarity on everything.

Form G-1145:
http://www.uscis.gov/g-1145

I-797: In your case, that would be the acceptance notice you revived for your asylum filing. Your current visa status is asylum pending.

You fill out the forms whenever you feel like.

1. what do we have to write in previous USA travel? In length, we mention the number of months till current date?
2. is Alien Registration number same as I94 number? or is the Alien number USCIS number?

A rough estimate of how many times you've entered the U.S. especially if you've entered on different visa categories. Yes, regarding the length of time question.
2. No. You wouldn't have an Alien # if you've never applied for any benefit from USCIS before, so leave it blank.

Hello there,

Thank you very much everybody for taking time and answering our questions. It was really great that I found this forum. I have been looking at the AOS package in the spreadsheet and a question popped up! I am currently student here on a student F-1 visa and my university pays me. However, the payment is not too much (15k a year) and I have been thinking to ask a friend of mine who works here to provide me an affidavit of support letter. Looking at the CP discussion, it looks that the affidavit of support is something usual if you are apply from outside the states.
- Is is also the case for the AOS and can we use affidavit of support from a friend in order to prove financial capabilities?
- Wouldnt is have any negative effect as they say I am in the US but don't have that much of income and need to have someone supporting me?
- How about submitting my own pay stubs along with a support from a friend?

Thanks.

Hello there,

Thank you very much everybody for taking time and answering our questions. It was really great that I found this forum. I have been looking at the AOS package in the spreadsheet and a question popped up! I am currently student here on a student F-1 visa and my university pays me. However, the payment is not too much (15k a year) and I have been thinking to ask a friend of mine who works here to provide me an affidavit of support letter. Looking at the CP discussion, it looks that the affidavit of support is something usual if you are apply from outside the states.
- Is is also the case for the AOS and can we use affidavit of support from a friend in order to prove financial capabilities?
- Wouldnt is have any negative effect as they say I am in the US but don't have that much of income and need to have someone supporting me?
- How about submitting my own pay stubs along with a support from a friend?

Thanks.

- Yes, a friend can provide you with the affidavit to further strengthen your case in addition to your pay stubs
- No negative effect, it further re-assures them you wouldn't become a public charge
- Yes. See the first response above

- Yes, a friend can provide you with the affidavit to further strengthen your case in addition to your pay stubs
- No negative effect, it further re-assures them you wouldn't become a public charge
- Yes. See the first response above

Perfect! thanks. What if I completely exclude my financial documents, to avoid overcomplecating things, and stick with that of affidavit of support from the friend? good idea?

Perfect! thanks. What if I completely exclude my financial documents, to avoid overcomplecating things, and stick with that of affidavit of support from the friend? good idea?

:rolleyes: Your case, your call. You can exclude them if you think it will over complicate your case. I wouldn't.

Dear Sm1smom,

I just stumbled on this thread and You are Awesome for making and keeping up with this thread, THANK YOU!

Just a few questions:

1. DS-260 asks for previous addresses, I've lived on the university campus for 4 years, but during the summers i've traveled/went home. Should I also include summer addresses or would it be OK if I indicate the 4 years as spent on campus housing?

2. When do you think would be a good time to submit the i485 packet, assuming I would fit in under the first wave (2016EU00007XXX)? It looks the Oct 2014 bulletin was published on Sep 8, 2014 but on the 2015 timeline file some people showed August 2014 acceptance dates for the Chicago Lockbox. I'm all for the earlier the better :)

Thanks a bunch for your help, I'm so happy i found this thread! I'm sure I'll have more questions as the time to file the whole thing nears.

Thanks again.

Dear Sm1smom,

I just stumbled on this thread and You are Awesome for making and keeping up with this thread, THANK YOU!

Just a few questions:

1. DS-260 asks for previous addresses, I've lived on the university campus for 4 years, but during the summers i've traveled/went home. Should I also include summer addresses or would it be OK if I indicate the 4 years as spent on campus housing?

2. When do you think would be a good time to submit the i485 packet, assuming I would fit in under the first wave (2016EU00007XXX)? It looks the Oct 2014 bulletin was published on Sep 8, 2014 but on the 2015 timeline file some people showed August 2014 acceptance dates for the Chicago Lockbox. I'm all for the earlier the better :)

Thanks a bunch for your help, I'm so happy i found this thread! I'm sure I'll have more questions as the time to file the whole thing nears.

Thanks again.

1. You can simply use your school's main address (not necessarily listing all the different house address over your 4 year period) for address 1 and your home address for address 2 (doesn't have to be listed 4 times).

2. The August bulletin under the advanced notification section will actually have the current numbers for October. However for those current in October, my suggestion is to not use the 2 months early filing provision because October is the first month of the new FY and there's a high probability of the package being returned or initially accepted and the petition gets denied later on. Your observation about people having an August acceptance for an October current CN is correct, filing 2 months early is allowed, but I wouldn't encourage it for the first month of the FY.

Hi, I have a question about AOS - I'm currently mid-process in being issued an E2 (non immigrant employee) and have also just been selected for the DV Lottery (currently outisde the us). Our plan is to go ahead with the E2 and not continue with the DV selection at this stage as we have jobs etc lined up waiting for us in July - but I'm wondering what happens if we love it there and change our minds after arriving and decide to file the winning DS-260 after all? Could we do this via AOS/would it affect our approval for GC? and will we be out of status for work while it's being considered?

Hi, I have a question about AOS - I'm currently mid-process in being issued an E2 (non immigrant employee) and have also just been selected for the DV Lottery (currently outisde the us). Our plan is to go ahead with the E2 and not continue with the DV selection at this stage as we have jobs etc lined up waiting for us in July - but I'm wondering what happens if we love it there and change our minds after arriving and decide to file the winning DS-260 after all? Could we do this via AOS/would it affect our approval for GC? and will we be out of status for work while it's being considered?

Congratulations on both the E-2 visa and DV selection. What's your CN, we need this information yo better guide you/answer your question. Only the region and the first two numbers after the last zero is required.

OC (a bunch of zeros) then ends with 8xx

Ok, so your CN is OC8xx - pretty good CN :)

Okay, back to your original post, your plan is a great one. Precisely what I would have recommended. Hold off on submitting the DS-260 form for now, when you get into the U.S. and if you decide you like the country and would love to stay back, then fill out and submit the form.

You can opt to process either AOS or CP, your choice, neither will affect your getting approved for the GC. Processing AOS will not invalidate your current work status while the process in ongoing. Your CN is low, should be current in Oct, the first month of the FY, so you might want to start familiarizing yourself with the AOS process by going over the AOS spreadsheet linked to the first post on page one of this Thread.

Thanks for the reply! I spoke to another person, who said if we file AOS after arriving on E2 it could look like some sort of fraud or something, which is not our intention - so was concerned this might happen if we do like it and change our minds?

Thanks for the reply! I spoke to another person, who said if we file AOS after arriving on E2 it could look like some sort of fraud or something, which is not our intention - so was concerned this might happen if we do like it and change our minds?

That's not accurate. A lot of people come into the U.S. on a NIV all the time and end up adjusting status. The most important thing is the timing. If you enter the US on a NIV and immediately submit an AOS petition shortly after arrival, yes you could be accused of having had an immigrant intent prior to arrival on the NIV and that you misrepresented your case when you applied for the NIV.

However without filling and submitting your DS form prior to arrival, you can't be accused of already harboring an immigrant intent. Also, if you wait the required amount of time after arrival before submitting the DS form and proceeding with the other AOS steps, there is nothing fraudulent about that. Goggle the 30-60-90 days rule for a better understanding of the accommodation made. USCIS understands the fact that it is possible for a person to enter the U.S. on a NIV, and then change their mind later on to stay legally in the country.