Reentry Permit Processing Time

I believe the re-entry permit and refugee travel document is the same application/process. My I-131 was received march 24th, biometric notice date April 7th, biometric appointment date April 28th.. thats it so far

Also, do we need to be in the US until approval of the Re-entry permit?

No. You only need to be in the US when you file it (including when USCIS receives it), and when you give biometrics (about 2-5 weeks after submitting the application). You can leave the US in between those points in time, and leave again after biometrics.

Reason for reentry permit ...

I understand that this threat is about processing time, but can someone chime in as to what reason I should indicate for reentry permit. Is there any common reason, where there are no chances of getting denial or RFE?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Jackolantern,

I got a quick question on your reply...

Are you sure that it won't be an issue if we leave US after submitting the application and come in again for fingerprinting??? Following is what's mentioned in the instruction sheet.

"... if an applicant departs the United States before the biometrics are collected, the application may be denied".

Please advise!!!!

hi everyone. i am a US permanent resident. i got my greencard last year in california but did not get to stay long. i am now back in the US but decided to try New York area. I would like to file a re-entry permit. will it be okay to put a new york address in Part 1 of the form? I would like the biometrics to be done in the NY area. Is this okay? I will not be in LA this time and i will need to leave in 3 weeks time. if i put expedite on the envelope, will USCIS schedule my biometrics ASAP? thank you all for any advise.

I am planning to apply re-entry permit for my mom this week. Since you guys have done this multiple times – can someone tell me following?

1. What should I write for “Part 4 – Purpose of trip”?
2. Also, how long usually it takes to get the bio-metrics appointment notice after application has mailed?

I would really appreciate the response. Thanks in advance.

Hello Jackolantern,

I got a quick question on your reply...

Are you sure that it won't be an issue if we leave US after submitting the application and come in again for fingerprinting??? Following is what's mentioned in the instruction sheet.

"... if an applicant departs the United States before the biometrics are collected, the application may be denied".

Further clarification was issued to explain that it is OK to leave before the biometrics appointment, as long as you return to the US in time for the appointment.

I am planning to apply re-entry permit for my mom this week. Since you guys have done this multiple times – can someone tell me following?

1. What should I write for “Part 4 – Purpose of trip”?
2. Also, how long usually it takes to get the bio-metrics appointment notice after application has mailed?

1. The truth -- business, family reasons, medical treatment, whatever.
2. 2-5 weeks.

hi everyone. i am a US permanent resident. i got my greencard last year in california but did not get to stay long. i am now back in the US but decided to try New York area. I would like to file a re-entry permit. will it be okay to put a new york address in Part 1 of the form? I would like the biometrics to be done in the NY area. Is this okay?

Write your US residential address. As a green card holder you need to maintain a US residential address, even if it's just your friend's or parent's address.

The biometrics appointment will be scheduled for a city close to your residential address, but you can still attempt a walk-in at any other USCIS location that does biometrics.

Jackolantern:

You stated the following:
"Further clarification was issued to explain that it is OK to leave before the biometrics appointment, as long as you return to the US in time for the appointment."

Is this information publicly available on any of the sites....

Thanks!!!

Jackolantern:

You stated the following:
"Further clarification was issued to explain that it is OK to leave before the biometrics appointment, as long as you return to the US in time for the appointment."

Is this information publicly available on any of the sites....

Thanks!!!

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=9c1161ccdc20b110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD
Q. I am a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) who will be out of the US for more than 1 year? What documents will I need to return to the US?
If the LPR departs from the U.S while the I-131 is pending, but before biometrics are taken, then the adjudication of the I-131 re-entry permit application will not be affected as long as the applicant returns to the U.S. to attend the biometrics appointment before the first year of foreign travel has ended.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, If one has already gone through fingerprinting and photographs, Is it Ok to leave the country and have someone mail the "reentry permit"?

Thanks,

Hello,

we mailed out application for reentry permit today. Lets see how long does it take? It looks like approx 45 days on an average.

I checked my timeline for the reentry permit and it's said 3 months. I filed the application on May 25. Now it's almost 6 months. Should I call the USCIS and ask about my case?

Does anybody in this forum have similar experience like me?

Thanks

Where did you check your timeline?

i applied re-entry permit 06/26/2011 but bymistake i wrote a date on fee cheque 06/26/2010 . please tell me what should i do??

thanks

So, If one has already gone through fingerprinting and photographs, Is it Ok to leave the country and have someone mail the "reentry permit"?

Thanks,

I've applied for my father-in-law from NJ. What was your timeline for the fingerprint. Our application was recieved on July 10 and check cashed on July 12 but haven't heard from USCIS about the fingerprint.

Last edited by a moderator:
processing time

It's been 100 days since I applied re-entry permit for my wife. She gave FP two months back and left the country. Why do they delay for this long? Any idea?

I've applied for my Father-in-laws reentry permit (From NJ) and we have not even recieved appointment letter for FP. Any ides of ho long it takes for FP appointment letter to come in. We applied end of June, chk was cashed 1st week of July.

Got FP notice for Aug 17 at Elizabeth, NJ center on Sat Jul 30. Now would anyone be knowing how long does it take for the reentry permit to arrive after FP?
My father-in-law does not intend to leave US without having actual Permit in hand. Just wanted to have a rough idea so that we can book return ticket.