apply for US citizenship

citizen_ship

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,

I have a question about a kid under age of 18 would like to apply US citizenship.

If whole family got green card 5 years ago and live in USA for 5 years already, the kid can apply for US citizenship by himself or one of parent has to apply?

what's the procedure? one of parent has to fill N400, then the kid need file some form?

Thanks

Dear all,

I have a question about a kid under age of 18 would like to apply US citizenship.

If whole family got green card 5 years ago and live in USA for 5 years already, the kid can apply for US citizenship by himself or one of parent has to apply?

what's the procedure? one of parent has to fill N400, then the kid need file some form?

Thanks

You have to be at least 18 to apply for citizenship so kid doing this directly is out.

If the parents apply and are granted citizenship while the child is under 18 and living with the parents, the child becomes a citizen automatically.

Thanks.

So if one of the parent apply for citizenship by filing N400 and get approved, we don't need file anything for the kid, and can directly apply for US passport for him?

Thank you so much for your info.

Yes, as long as the child has a GC and is living with the US citizen parent. You can apply for a passport and/or a certificate of citizenship (N600).

Thanks so much. What is the N600 for? My kid is living with me all the time. Do I need apply for N600?

When I file N400 for myself, there is no need to put any information about my kid, correct?

One more question is if only one of parent apply for citizenship, my kid can get his US passport?

Thanks

when I apply a passport for my kid, Do I need N600 filed and get approved if he's living with me all the time?

How can I change my kid name during this process? I want to my kid name changed to his English name.

Thanks

Thanks so much. What is the N600 for? My kid is living with me all the time. Do I need apply for N600?
N-600 is optional, but it does not expire, so it could be useful for proving citizenship in the future if the passport has expired or is lost and there are long delays in replacing/renewing the passport ... like what happened a few years ago, and what could happen again this year right before they raise the fee.

Naturalized citizens have unexpiring proof of citizenship in the form of the naturalization certificate. Born citizens have a birth certificate. Children who derived citizenship from their parents would not have unexpiring proof of US citizenship unless they get the N-600.

when I apply a passport for my kid, Do I need N600 filed and get approved if he's living with me all the time?
No, you don't need to apply for N-600 before you apply for the passport.

How can I change my kid name during this process? I want to my kid name changed to his English name.
You would have to change his name via a court process (separately from naturalization) in your jurisdiction. Contact your town's City Hall for details. In order to keep your naturalization smoother and simpler, avoid changing his name in the middle of your naturalization process.

somebody told me when the kids apply for US citizen, it's a good time to change their names.

I'm not sure if the kid is not US citizen, only green card holder, city hall will help to change his name?

Anybody know it? Thanks

somebody told me when the kids apply for US citizen, it's a good time to change their names.
If they are old enough (18 years) to apply for citizenship on their own, it would be a good time for them to change their name as part of the citizenship process if they want it changed.

But if they are under 18, and their name is changed during YOUR citizenship process, it could delay your own process (because you would have to notify USCIS to update their names). So if you're going to change their names, get it done before you apply for citizenship, or wait until after you complete citizenship.

I'm not sure if the kid is not US citizen, only green card holder, city hall will help to change his name?
Yes they will definitely do it for green card holders.