Just don't show up for court?

bboy85

Registered Users (C)
I am about to go to my individual hearing for my asylum case, without a lawyer... there I will request more time to find counsel because I have not been able to find anyone that I can pay for/pro bono counsel.

Hopefully my case will get rescheduled and I will have enough time to find a lawyer.

If not though, and I just don't show up to court, what happens? What happens in the court? Does USCIS come looking for me and take me away? Anybody know?

Not showing up to court is the most stupid thing you could do. I was late for my case by twenty minutes and the Judge was already writing an arrest warrant. If you need more time, ask for it. Just to let you know that it will stop the immigration clock if you are intending to apply for EAD.

i know someone who failed to show up at asylum hearing at court cos his lawyer abandoned the case without telling him and he too moved somewhere else and . after 4 yrs at a USCIS interview for mmarriege with a US CITIZEN< he got arrested , locked up for 2-3 months, just few sec away from deportation until US senators, congresswoman/man and others helped him secure his release

OK, well good to know!

And what happens if the judge denies my application for political asylum? Can they take me away right then and there in the court?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never ever go to the Court without a good Immigration attorney no matters how much you have to pay for. But even more important NEVER EVER dismiss a Court appointment.

OK, well good to know!

And what happens if the judge denies my application for political asylum? Can they take me away right then and there in the court?

You live to fight another day. If the Judge denies your application, you have thirty days within which time you can file an appeal.

You live to fight another day. If the Judge denies your application, you have thirty days within which time you can file an appeal.

Thank you for the information! So I will have to have a lawyer to file for an appeal right?

And then it goes to an appeals court a month later and if I get denied again? Taken away?

Thank you for the information! So I will have to have a lawyer to file for an appeal right?

And then it goes to an appeals court a month later and if I get denied again? Taken away?

if you got denied by IJ, you can appeal to the BIA, the appeal will take from one year to 2 years, it may take less, on my case it took 2 years, if you got denied again, you can appeal to the district court all way
to the supreme court, this will cost you tons of money and several years of waiting in limbo