Canadians applying for TN at US-MX border

pasqualefiore

Registered Users (C)
Please I need advice on where to apply for my TN visa ... I am near the US MEXICO border in Texas.

Any input will be greatly appreciate it
Also looking for immigration lawyer to help me out preparing my case

Await for your posts

Thanks in advance :)

I'm also in TX and considered going to that border as well. In fact, when I recently got a new TN at the Canadian border they asked why I didn't go to that border! (I explained that I was also using this chance to visit family).

I'm confident that a lawyer isn't needed for a TN. The rules are quite cut and dry. Just be certain to pick the correct classification that meets the position at the employer and ensure you have the experience, etc needed (with proof).

It all depends on the officer you deal with. I had 8 or 9 TN's since 2000, with one denial (at Mexico border, near San Diego), and the rest successful, including 3 at the Mexico border, near San Diego, and the rest at the Buffalo, NY Peace Bridge POE.

Some officers have told me it didn't matter how many TN's you get, but the last one told me he was approving me that time, but I would not be able to get any more. He apparently put something on my file that would notify future officers to deny me. Fortunately, I was already engaged at that point and have since successfully obtained my Green Card.

To answer your question, I would go to the most convenient POE, or the Mexico border in this case. Be sure they don't see you as an intended immigrant and that this work permit is temporary - then you should be fine. Of course, have the proper paperwork and make sure you qualify. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one diff between Cdn and Mex border is that you must call ahead and get an appointment for Mex POEs

Some officers have told me it didn't matter how many TN's you get, but the last one told me he was approving me that time, but I would not be able to get any more. He apparently put something on my file that would notify future officers to deny me.
He was flat lying to you. Think about it: if you aren't eligible next year, you aren't eligible today either (there is absolutely no time factor in TN eligibility). So he would be violating his procedures by letting you in without eligibility. He wouldn't do that. So he is lying about next year.

You don't need to make appointment at Mexico border, I've renewed twice at Brownsville, TX. once in 2006 and once in 2008. I didn't call or make any appointment.

I renewed multiple times at San Ysidro. They have never, in my experience, required appointments.

Maybe it was another one. I just remember a lot of people posting how they always had to make an appointment to get their new TN's at the California/Mexico border...

I went to loredo border twice and I remember they don't require an appoinment too

TN to GC

:)I wanted to ask fire101 how long was it taken for your greencard process and did you ever applied for H1b? :confused:your answer is greatly appreciated...:D

No H1B, but I did marry my USC g/f of 6 years. It didn't take long at all after that happened and all of the right paperwork was filed.