SSN for Kids based on 485 receipt

Tax Rebates

No tax rebate without valid SSN ... ITIN is not valid for tax rebate.

No idea whether parents get the tax rebate or not, even though parents have valid SSN.

Further what is the minimum age for applying EAD?

Any pointers for "ITIN is not valid for tax rebate".
I don't think that is true.
You do get child tax credit while computing the tax.

The ITIN issue is correct. If one of the couple has ITIN, they will NOT get a check. it is on the irs website, linked from the front page.

Note, that if you do get an SSN by next year, you will get the credit on your 2008 tax return. Remember that this is simply an advance on a credit that will be on the tax return next year.

But those with wife and/or kids with ITINs will either not get a check, or get less than than they would otherwise.

The option for a spouse who has an SSN but one who doesn't would be to file separately, but this would be foolish considering the extra tax one would pay as a separate filer.

Patience.

No tax rebate without valid SSN ... ITIN is not valid for tax rebate.

No idea whether parents get the tax rebate or not, even though parents have valid SSN.

Further what is the minimum age for applying EAD?

Not sure what are you talking about ... but it is possible to secure tax rebate for kids with ITIN only.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179181,00.html

Q. If I have a valid Social Security Number and my child has an ITIN, do I get extra money for the child?
A. No. To qualify for the extra credit for qualifying children, not only do the taxpayer and spouse, if filing jointly, need valid Social Security Numbers, but the qualifying child must also have a valid Social Security Number.

I think some people may be confused with tax refund and Stimulus Payments which is going to be paid this year.

Kid with ITIN is eligible for child credit

Kid with ITIN (no SSN) => No Stimulus Payment for 2007 (~300$).

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179181,00.html

Q. If I have a valid Social Security Number and my child has an ITIN, do I get extra money for the child?
A. No. To qualify for the extra credit for qualifying children, not only do the taxpayer and spouse, if filing jointly, need valid Social Security Numbers, but the qualifying child must also have a valid Social Security Number.

I think some people may be confused with tax refund and Stimulus Payments which is going to be paid this year.

Kid with ITIN is eligible for child credit

Kid with ITIN (no SSN) => No Stimulus Payment for 2007 (~300$).

And from the same article:

spouse with SSN filing with spouse with ITIN: no payment.

** In above case can parents with valid SSNs get any stimulus payment or NO, since we have kids with ITIN on tax returns ?

Of course. The question you just quoted is talking about the extra $300.

If between now and next spring (2009), if they get EAD and thus SSN, you will get the extra $300 then; it just will not part of this spring's check.

The cost of EAD is 340 plus photo, etc, the stimulus is 300. If this is the only reason to get EAD, is it worth it?

I think, it is worth. I am applying for my wife and kids. Who knows, if they are going to announce similar package next year :). I am bit too optimistic.

My question is a little different than what is being discussed above.
Myself and my wife both have valid SSN but my 2 kids have ITIN. Therefore, for recovery rebate credit I only entered 1200 while filling my 2008 tax return (note that i didn't receive any stimulus last year). But IRS rejected my claim of 1200 against recovery rebate saying that all the famly members on tax return must have a valid SSN.

this is not correct, because even their recovery rebate worksheet shows that i should be getting 1200$ (600 each for myself and my wife and nothing for kids) as recovery rebare credit.

What can i do about it.

My question is a little different than what is being discussed above.
Myself and my wife both have valid SSN but my 2 kids have ITIN. Therefore, for recovery rebate credit I only entered 1200 while filling my 2008 tax return (note that i didn't receive any stimulus last year). But IRS rejected my claim of 1200 against recovery rebate saying that all the famly members on tax return must have a valid SSN.

this is not correct, because even their recovery rebate worksheet shows that i should be getting 1200$ (600 each for myself and my wife and nothing for kids) as recovery rebare credit.

What can i do about it.

I think IRS is right, no stimuls without SS for every one. No TIN here for the stimulus, I heared that from many, double check and waiting for other's feedback.

The cost of EAD is 340 plus photo, etc, the stimulus is 300. If this is the only reason to get EAD, is it worth it?
For people who filed I-485 after August 2007 with the new fee structure, there is no additional cost for the EAD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got laid off. Both have EAD but 8 years old kid doesn't have

What should I do?
Any risk that my son goes out of status since H1 will be revoke in a week ?

Does the termination letter for H1 harm our 485? (pd:2005, 140 approved in 2005, EAD still have 23 mons)

Please advise Gurus.