what happens to EAD status after GC is approved?

sree2005

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

What happens to EAD status after GC is approved? Currently i am working on 3rd EAD. my HR says that GC can be submitted next year when my 3rd EAD expires (aug 2008). I got my GC in hand on 10/9/07.

Please share your inputs.

many thanks,
sree2005

No it's not valid. EAD (and AP) is valid on pending I-485, and now you got it approved, your I-485 is not pending anymore, hence EAD is now invalid. Like Dallas said, you need a new I-9. I have no idea if there's any time limit or like, but I was just told "As soon as possible." I did so in 3 weeks after GC.

is EAD still valid after GC approved? Any thing written any where lagally?

Last edited by a moderator:
I submitted the New I-9 Form the next day after i got card. EAD is not valid anymore.Keep it for records. Also i went to SSN Office after 3 weeks of card recieved and they took out restriction "valid for INS Authorization".

Thank you all

Thanks for your suggestions. I will let my employer know that i need to fill up new I-9 form and submit a copy of GC.

have a nice weekend friends.

Thanks,
sree2005

GC approved, card not recd yet, EAD expiring

My GC got approved but I did not receive the card yet. I'm working on EAD now. What are my options if EAD is going to expire soon? Please suggest. Thanks.

EB3 Sept 2001 PD India
I-485 RD: 02/24/2004
I-485 ND: 02/27/2004
I-485 AD: 08/16/2007 :)
Still waiting for the card

Go for the passport staming to local USCIS office and get the passport stamped for 1 year....and you could use the passport stamp as proof of GC....and not worry for 1 year....It might be safer, if you at least have the 485 approval notice in hand....

I have not heard anything like this before. when i went for my infopass after approval of 485, the IO actually took my EAD, and said that now you are approved, this is not valid, and you do not need it. she kept my EAD, and said that i should return the previous expired EADs to the address listed on the approval letter.

i never did that. it was scary when she kept my current EAD.

That is the correct procedure....

I have not heard anything like this before. when i went for my infopass after approval of 485, the IO actually took my EAD, and said that now you are approved, this is not valid, and you do not need it. she kept my EAD, and said that i should return the previous expired EADs to the address listed on the approval letter.

i never did that. it was scary when she kept my current EAD.

CSharpDev,

What the officer did at the passport stamping is the correct procedure. Infact before going for passport stamping one is required to carry all (current + expired) EADs and APs surrender to the IO and get the passport stamping. Nothing to worry you are okay.

By the way I want to make a general comment about the EAD validity... I kind of understand that EAD and AP become invalid after GC approval but in my case my 4th EAD was approved and mailed after my GC approval!!! you never can guess how the USCIS works!

Hope this helps. Please do not consider this for a legal advice, these are purely my opinions .

I-551 stamp

Banta4GC,

Thanks for your suggestion. I took infopass appointment and got our passports stamped with I-551. Initially the officer said she would give validity for 90 days only but somehow she gave it for 6 months saying that we should get cards much before that.

EB3 Sept 2001 PD India
I-485 RD: 02/24/2004
I-485 ND: 02/27/2004
I-485 AD: 08/16/2007
I-551 Stamping: 10/23/2007
Still waiting for the card

Gurus,

What happens to EAD status after GC is approved? Currently i am working on 3rd EAD. my HR says that GC can be submitted next year when my 3rd EAD expires (aug 2008). I got my GC in hand on 10/9/07.

Please share your inputs.

many thanks,
sree2005

My question is who gives a F**K about EAD anymore?