Expedited Naturalization while living overseas- anyone done this/know about it?

xernstx

I'm a US Citizen, and transferring to Singapore for my US company on 11/1. My spouse is a non-US citizen GC holder, and will be accompanying me.

Based on my internet research/discussions with a lawyer, my wife qualifies for expedited naturalization, since I will be working for a subsidiary of a US corporation. Does anyone know if you should wait in filing the N-400 until AFTER you are residing abroad, or if it is better to file it before you leave?

In this case, you may also choose a particular service center - from what I've read online, some service centers are 'special' (Arlington, VA & Honolulu, HI), and that others offer same-day interview/oath (Newark, NJ).

Has anyone else followed this process, and can you offer recommendations for a particular service center?

You better have a good lawyer who is familiar with those specific sections of 8.CFR. Expedited naturalization is generally reserved for spouses of govt. employees and certain designated US corporations. There are also requirements for the duration of the overseas assignment etc, etc.

Applying under INA 319b

I am also applying under INA 319(b) although I qualify as a spouse of a missionary based overseas rather than employment but the rules a very similar. This is a great provision in the immigration law as you don't need to wait for 3 years after getting your green card and none of the state residency/physical presence/continuous residency conditions apply!

I passed the interview and am now waiting for my oath ceremony. I applied before I left because you are required to be in the US for both the interview and the oath ceremony and didn't want to travel back to the US twice while based overseas.

It is fine to do this but one requirement is that you must leave the US to join your spouse overseas within 30-45 days of the oath ceremony. I am leaving overseas in January 2008 and had my interview at the end of August. It is difficult working out the timing of when to apply so you are approved in the 45 day window. My interview came earlier than expected but I had an extremely nice IO who was willing to provisionally approve me and delay my oath ceremony until November so I could meet the 30-45 day rule.

I applied at the Dallas DO (as I live near Dallas) but I have also heard Baltimore and Honolulu are familiar with this special provision. My lawyer said he had the occasional bad experience with Chicago and some of the smaller offices as the IO hadn't heard of s319(b) so immediately denied the applicant because they had applied before the 3 years. The were all eventually approved under 319(b) but it took several letters between the lawyer and the DO and added a few months to the process.

I would definitely advise getting a lawyer who has experience in this area to make sure you qualify (there are special rules on the type of US company). Also some parts of the N400 do not need to be completed and certain extra documentation is needed.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about 319(b).

jontym

P.S. Unfortunately the 'expedited' part you mentioned above relates to the ability to apply early (before 3 years) but not necessarily to the speed of processing!!

========================================================
Dallas DO & Texas Service Center
Application made under 319(b) (expedited naturalization based on spouse serving as missionary for a US religous organization overseas)

03/30/2007 - RD/PD
04/11/2007 - FP notice
05/01/2007 - FP done
07/10/2007 - IVL notice date
07/17/2007 - IVL received in mail
08/28/2007 - IV date - Approved!!
??/??/2007 - Oath ceremony

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello jontymorgan,

So glad to see your post case under 319 b,since there are very limited information in this boad about 319 b.
I sent my case under 319b at early June 2007 with my FP card ( did the FP at embassy outside US) .I went to infopass when I was in US about 2 weeks ago.I was told that my name check is finished but FP not yet. Do you have any ideas when should my FP be done and what should I do?

Thanks very much in advance for any of your informations.

Hello jontymorgan,

So glad to see your post case under 319 b,since there are very limited information in this boad about 319 b.
I sent my case under 319b at early June 2007 with my FP card ( did the FP at embassy outside US) .I went to infopass when I was in US about 2 weeks ago.I was told that my name check is finished but FP not yet. Do you have any ideas when should my FP be done and what should I do?

Thanks very much in advance for any of your informations.

I had my fingerprints taken in the US so unfortunately I don't know how long they take to clear if they are taken overseas. However, from other posts on the board it seems the fingerprints clear pretty quickly (the next day in some cases) if taken in the US whereas the name check can take months or even years! I imagine it might take a few weeks for the fingerprints to be sent from the embassy to the FBI. Also, although there is anectdotal evidence that some district offices try to prioritize s319 cases, there is no guarantee that they will bring your application forward once your fingerprints clear.

However, I would take heart that you have cleared the most difficult part of the process!

========================================================
Dallas DO & Texas Service Center
Application made under 319(b) (expedited naturalization based on spouse serving as missionary for a US religous organization overseas)

03/30/2007 - RD/PD
04/11/2007 - FP notice
05/01/2007 - FP done
07/10/2007 - IVL notice date
07/17/2007 - IVL received in mail
08/28/2007 - IV date - Approved!!
??/??/2007 - Oath ceremony (rescheduled by IO to fall between 30-45 days of leaving the US)

Hello,

One of the requirements to be able to apply early is that the corp needs to be involved in some commerce - goods exchange between the US and a foreign country? Is setting up an office abroad that helps the US main office in development (software engineering) an ok reason to qualify for this expedited natz thing?

It may, but the US based company will most likely have to demonstrate on paper how much trade and commerce is it engaged in foreign country.

Well - the company is not selling anything in the foreign country. But rather it employs engineers so that they can produce products that are then sold here in the US.

So the commerce is here in the US.

In the foreign country there are engineers that produce software, graphics etc.

Xernstx, Are You Still Around?

Xernstx, Are You Still Around? I am also an American living in Singapore married to green card holder. I'd love to speak to you about your experiences applying for 319(b). I am also applying and having a difficult time with it. Perhaps we could hook up and swap advice. I'll check back on this thread to see if you're still monitoring it. Hope to meet you soon.

Xernstx, Are You Still Around? I am also an American living in Singapore married to green card holder. I'd love to speak to you about your experiences applying for 319(b). I am also applying and having a difficult time with it. Perhaps we could hook up and swap advice. I'll check back on this thread to see if you're still monitoring it. Hope to meet you soon.

You could also try to send the poster a personal message. Just click his/her handle name.

I am also applying under INA 319(b) although I qualify as a spouse of a missionary based overseas rather than employment but the rules a very similar.

I would like to learn more from your experience. we are also missionary based.

Can you recommend a good lawyer?

thank you!