• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Your urgent help is appreciated!

Issam

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have been selected for further processing in the DV 2014 lottery program.
My issue is: I have been offered a short term job in another country and supposed to have a work visa! I just want to know if I get this visa how does that affect my DV visa process?
By the time I'll have the interview scheduled I'll probably be in a different country! I know I have the option to ask for changing the location of the interview but that may postpone the date! My intention is, once the interview is scheduled I will issue an exit entry and go back home prior to the date of the interview and process collecting the documents, is it the best thing to do?. I know that once I am outside of my home country I should contact the kcc and give them my updated location, I have been informed that that can be through email (without sending new forms).
My questions are:
What is the best thing to do in my case? Send an email to the center and update them of my current location, then once scheduled go back to home country for my interview?
Is it a good option asking for changing the location of the interview? As that may lead to the date to be postponed and I also will have issues preparing documents (from my home country).
Having a valid visa of a different country does not affect getting a DV visa at the same time?

I hope you advice me of what is the best thing to do!

Thank you in advance for your consideration and help.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your DV case number (put xxx for last 3 digits for privacy) - it will be in form DV2014000AFxxxxx on your notification letter This will determine your interview date (although at this stage we can only guess based on past years not say for sure)

Ok so, that's a relatively low number for Africa. You may well have an interview Dec or Jan, possibly even Nov.

Re the visa question: it shouldn't be a problem. It may be a problem if (and I am completely speculating here) it is for a country where they routinely do AP or there are other concerns about it,in which case expect to get asked about who you would be working for there, and why are you going there at this stage so soon before you get your DV...

You are aware that once you get granted your visa you have to enter the US within 6 months? You can leave again for a while after that but if you don't activate it within 6 months it's no longer valid. Will your new job allow you time for this? Which also raises the question anyway of why accept a 2-year position when you should rather be preparing yourself for emigration to the US?

If you don't want the date postponed and you may have problems getting your civil documents together, it seems to me best to do the interview in your home country, but i dont know enough details eg how easy it is for you to get home for the interview? Is the country you live in also one that usually has AP? Have you already started getting the documents together btw? If not you should start now.
You also are supposed to have the medical in the country where you are interviewed, plus you need to be there long enough to pick up your visa when issued (a couple of days if no AP, if AP...could be anything) so these are also factors to think about.

It just seems to me an unnecessary complication to be taking jobs elsewhere when you are trying to sort all this out but I don't know all your reasons...

Thank you!

SusieQQQ, I totally appreciate you taking the time to reply to my thread! I guess you are totally right, it seems such an unnecessary complication indeed! It wasn't preplanned, it's just something that came out in the way, it's a job I was offered in - before I checked my dv status - and If I am to make this one choice I will ABSOLUTELY choose to process with my DV visa as I don't want to ruin the whole process! I just wanted to know my options here (as the kcc told me it shouldn't affect the dv visa process in anyway) but I think you're right: one should rather be preparing for immigration to the US! It is always great to have some advice! :)
Thank you again, that was very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: