You dont have to pay 175 if you have already cancelled indian passport

I think the following line is incorrect "One exception is for new U.S. citizens who can avoid the $175 fee by surrendering their passports within 90 days of being naturalized." . Even new citizens should pay $175 unless they have already cancelled it

One would think the rule would apply the same to everyone. How come Sanfransico US consulate says that there is no need for surrender certificate if you have a indian passport that was surrendered(meaning cancelled already and you have a cancelled stamp??) then there is no need to get surrender certificate.

I specifically emailed New york consulate stating that I got OCI and cancelled my passport when I send my passport for U-VISA and got an reply stating that "You need to apply for Surrender Certificate as this is required irrespective of you obtaining any consular services from the Indian Mission"

Makes absolutely no sense. God helps us all with this mess.

Link to SF website --> http://www.cgisf.org/renunciation/ricscpenalty.html

S.N........................................................................................... Fees for Surrender Certificate .........Penalty............Total

1 If you have an Indian Passport No Surrender Certificate Issued..................---------...............................----..............- NIL
which has already been surrendered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the New York Consulate today to apply for the Surrender Certificate.

I was told that I have to pay "no matter what".

I had gotten my passport cancelled within 90 days of acquiring US citizenship. I showed them the San Fransisco cite link..

The bottom line is... YOU HAVE TO JUST PAY $175.00 .. That is all they want..