yearly visit to USA

dash riprock

My wife and I are currently living/working Asia. I am a US citizen and she is a green card holder. She has to enter the US annually to keep her green card valid. I would like to know if she can fly to a US territory (such as Guam) to keep her card valid? or, does she actually have to travel to one of the 50 states?

If there is a link to the USCIS website, that would be great.

Thanks

Yes, she can go to any US territory such as Guam and the time there counts as time in any of the 50 states, as far as I know.

Flying to the U.S. just once a year briefly to keep the Green Card (GC) alive is not a strategy that will work for you in the long term though. Sooner or later she will loose her GC unless you move back to the U.S. for good. In your case you don't need to worry too much because in the worst case she looses her GC, you can always reapply for a new GC. It will just take some time and money though.

Are you working abroad for a US company? If yes, your wife may qualify for expedited naturalization via Section 319(b), even if she has not lived in the US for long enough to qualify under the usual 3 year/5 year rules.