1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*****Wrong Date of Birth.on the Green Card ******

Discussion in 'The Physical Green Card' started by chichu, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. chichu

    chichu Registered Users (C)

    Hi All,

    The date of birth is printed wrongly on my wife's GC. When we called INS they told us to go to the Local office and file I-90. Instead can I do it online? Which is better? How long would it take?

    Do we have to hand over the card if we file I-90 it at the local office. We have not stamped our passports. So we would like to keep the card eventhough the year(for DOB) is printed wrongly in the card.

    I would appreciate any help. Experts please advise!

    Happy Diwai!

    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2004
  2. Mr. Frustrated

    Mr. Frustrated Registered Users (C)

    I feel your pain

    Chichu, I know exactly how you feel right now. I had waited for over 7 months only to receive a GC with misspelled name on it. The decision to file I-90 and turn in my card was a difficult one. But, I did. The USCIS clerk told me that it was going to take a few months for the new card to be issued. Let's just hope if that's the case.
  3. chichu

    chichu Registered Users (C)

    I read in this site that someone did file I-90 online. I am presuming that in that case we do not have to turn the card back to INS. Does any one has any idea about the pros and cons of filing it online? Is the only other option to go to the local INS?

  4. Mr. Frustrated

    Mr. Frustrated Registered Users (C)

    I filed it in person

    Whether filing it online or in person, it does not make a major difference. You will have to surrender your card during the I-89 finger printing appointment. Holding on to a void GC is not going to do you any good. Plus, if you chose to file I-90 online, you will not be eligible to get a fee waiver, which is $185, even if the error was committed by USCIS.
  5. chichu

    chichu Registered Users (C)

    Hi, Thanks for the details.

    Just wanted to share with you the history of our I-485 process. My 485 was approved at the local office for conducting the interview. The Status on the INS web site still shows that the case was transferred to local office for conducting the interview. It has been a while since our case was approved(nealry one year). We moved after getting the Plastic card. We are yet to file the change of address application. I can use the old address as our permanent address still, as my realtive is living there, eventhough that is not our preference.

    What do you think about changing our address at this point and going to the local office at the new location for filing I-90? Both locations are under Vermont sevice center.

    Just wanted to get your take on it. Thanks a lot.

  6. greenrk

    greenrk Registered Users (C)

    Incorrect DOB on card!

    I received my card in mail today. My date of birth was off by one day. When I went to get my pp stamped they mentioned that the DOB according to their records is different from the one I have on my passport. I checked my files and realized that when I filed for my I-140 and I-485, my lawyer screwed up and put the wrong date of birth. I never verified this. I am not sure what I can do. Anybody out there who can give me some advice.
  7. Anahit

    Anahit Registered Users (C)

    First of all, it makes huge difference: processing on-line filed I-90 takes about 2 weeks, while processing I-90 submitted in person takes months.
    Second, who told you that you will not be eligible for a fee waiver when filing online? The program that allows you to file online is a lot smarter than some employees at the immigration office.
  8. fhgc

    fhgc Registered Users (C)

    What did you mean by "processing"? The time it takes for them to send your new card or for them to send you a notice with a case number? I filled in person and it took about 2 weeks to get the notice.
    Two weeks for the card replacement seems to be too fast.
  9. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

  10. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

  11. Anahit

    Anahit Registered Users (C)

    By processing I meant from the day you apply til the day you receive your card. I am talking from experiance. You can read about it in a thread started by Shikha "Incorrect last name on green card", 2nd page.
  12. fhgc

    fhgc Registered Users (C)

    Since you filled at CSC, you may be right about your statement. If you look at the processing dates at CSC for I-90, it is pretty current and they distinguish between 10-year card renewal and card replacement due to errors, etc. The latter is even more current at CSC. In your case, e-file is arguably faster because less paper work has to be filed and processed. Unfortunately, I had to file against VSC. The processing time is still at March 2004 (I know, I know, I shouldn't trust this but at least it gives a clue) and they don't seem to distinguish between 10-year renewal and error replacements. Given the wait time here at VSC, I think the difference between e-file and local file are negligible.
  13. Anahit

    Anahit Registered Users (C)

    Well, let's just hope that the processing dates for VSC are not up to date (which they are not most of the time). :)
  14. Deepesh7373

    Deepesh7373 Registered Users (C)

    I am in the process of applying for I-90 due to error in date of birth. Now my question is while making infopass appointment, which option should I select?
    (1) You need to replace your Alien Resident Card
    (2) You need to file an application for yourself or someone else.
    (3) You have a question about your case
    (4) You wish to speak to an immigration officer
  15. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)


Share This Page