Writing a statement to the NVC instead of submitting DS2019

MPGGPM

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone have any experience in writing a "statement" to the NVC ? This option was given to my wife instead of submitting all IAP66/DS2019's.

If someone on a J-1 visa attended several schools while in the USA, then what should they write in their statement in regards to....

1) The name of the organization sponsoring the exchange visitor program? Does that mean the institution that sponsored her financially from Turkey, or does that mean the schools she attended in the USA. (For example, on one DS2019 we have, it shows one university she attended under the heading "program sponsor". However, she attended more than one university?

2) When they ask for "number of the program", what exactly should we write? Do we enter the numbers for all the universities she attended (Texas, Florida, etc..?) Or is there a specific number for the institution that sponsored her in Turkey?

Basically, if anyone has experience in writing such a statement, then it would be of great help to my wife and I, since we are attempting to write one. The issues above, are confusing us both.

Anything esle that you can add, that I might have not mentioned, would also be of much use.

thanks

Not clear

What is this in relation to? Why are you sending stuff to the NVC? Do they request "all" DS-2019s? Who gave your wife that option? And why not just submit all DS2019s and save yourself the headache? Any missing forms may be obtainable from the sponsor's office.

I never heard of such a statement, but I assume that they would require all the information that they would normally obtain from the DS-2019 forms. Therefore,
1- You should list the names listed under "Program sponsor", not the name of the university she attended. BUT you will also need to list the names of the universities attended separately.
2- The program number (as you know, the number listed on each form that usually begins with a P-X-xxxxx or G-X-xxxxx) is listed on the IAP66 or DS2019. If you had more than one, list all the ones you were under.

For example:

1- Program #: P-3-##### from xx/xx/2002 to xx/xx/2004. Attended University of XXXX, Program sponsor is: XXXXXXXX.

2- Program #: G-3-##### from xx/xx/2004 to xx/xx/2005. Attended University of XXXX, Program sponsor is: XXXXXXXX.

etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't seem clear because you have must have never applied for an immigrant visa petition on behalf of a wife. That is why this would be helpful if someone has had actual experience in doing such a thing.

There's too much written from the NVC to explain every detail, but in general....(From an RFE we got from the NVC)

If my wife does not have every DS2019 (She was here in the USA for over 10 years) from each university attended, she can instead write a statement explaining how she entered the country, who the sponsor was, if she had funding etc.....
This is contained in a letter sent to us from the NVC. We are attempting to write the statement instead of asking for each DS2019 from each particular university because my wife is in Turkey at this time. To request each DS2019, may take a while from there (I am sure she would have to make each request in writing.....that will delay things). It seems much easier to just write a statement of explanation instead, where she can prepare it in a day or 2 and mail it to me where I can submit it to the NVC.

You said list "program sponsor" and NOT the name of the university, however, on her DS2019, it does indeed state the American university she attended , and makes no mention of her sponsor from Turkey. That IS what is listed under "program sponsor". And we feel, that we should instead give her sponsor from Turkey?

Example....

1-Program #: P-3-##### from xx/xx/2002 to xx/xx/2004. Attended University of XXXX, Program sponsor is: University of XXXX

See? The problem would be that we would be writing the University attended, and then we'd also be using that as her her sponsor because that is what it says on the DS2019. But it doesn't seem right. We feel that for the sponsor, we should list the name of the Institute that funded her from Turkey......regardless if whether that is what is named on the DS2019 or not?

I mean, why name the university, and then also name it as her sponsor? It was not UF (a school she attended) that was doing her funding, it was the Institute from Turkey.

In either case, thanks for your input, especially that bottom part where you took the time to write a "format" we should use to list each..........that was helpful.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the DS2019 had a mistake. It noted UF as the sponsor when the actual sponsorship was from Turkey. In that case, and remember that I'm not a lawyer, I would stay on the safe side and write both the US university (because it is noted on the DS2019) AND the name of the Turkish Institute, perhaps with the words "source of funding" in parentheses. That way, you won't be saying something contrary to the DS2019, but will be providing the correction in the form of additional information.

It's okay for the "sponsor" and the "institution attended" to be the same. In many if not most situations, that is the case. But I hope the suggestion in the previous paragraph is satisfactory. Remember to get such a statement notarized in Turkey if she has access to such services, just in case.

I am doing an immigrant petition myself, with my wife, but in my case, I (quite by chance) found all the I-20/IAP66/DS2019 forms we had (from 1991 to 2007). I wasn't sure I should send them all to USCIS, but I guess, seeing that you got an RFE, it may not be a bad idea. I'm glad I read your post.