Working Remotely from India, while on F1 in US?

div84

Hi,

While on a F1 Student visa in US can I work for a company in India remotely, which has its office in US also. I am employed by their India division, and on their India payroll. I would be working as offshore consultant, for their clients in US?

Please let me know. thanks!

Hi,

While on a F1 Student visa in US can I work for a company in India remotely, which has its office in US also. I am employed by their India division, and on their India payroll. I would be working as offshore consultant, for their clients in US?

You may absolutely not work in US on student visa except in a very limited number of circumstances. If you are currently employed and are receiving wages for work at the current time without proper approvals, you are in a lot of trouble. Illegal work is one thing the USCIS takes very seriously. I suggest you go to talk with your school's DSO immediately. I am sure that you were made aware of the work limitations before you enrolled so you have no excuse to now decide to do so.

Hi,

Are you going to get compensated in USD or INR ? Would your employment be performed in US for a US company or for an Indian company?

It doesn't matter how he is paid. He CANNOT WORK in the US for anyone other than someone approved by DSO.

If he needs money that badly in order to remain in the US - SOL. He can either get a work permit or go home.

Firstly, let me clear this. I am not currently working or getting paid. I had this option so I put this question up in the forum. If I do work, this company would pay me in INR an dnot in US $ and technically I will just be in US working remotely and not working with any US company. IF this is not right, then what kind of work authorizaion do I need. I thought Hi-B was only for working with US companies?

Thanks!

You'll be working remotely for an Indian company and will be on their payroll? Would you be working for their clients in the US? If so, then no I don't think you can do that. If you're working for non US clients, then maybe it's fine. Do more research. Don't go telling your DSO anything (you haven't even started the work anyway). Concerned4us is obviously not here to help you clearly understand USCIS rules.