Working in US means putting the immi process to risk? any new laws

victory@US

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I would like to know if recently (3months) landed immigrant (freind of mine) can work in US on H visa. What would be the pros and cons.

There are rumors which say if you leave canada more than 6 months you will have to reapply for the immigration again. My freind is reluctant to take that risk if any to get into a low paid job.

If it is safe can one start working immediately after applying for the H visa or You still have to wait to get the visa processed like in the old times.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanky you:)

I would like to know if recently (3months) landed immigrant (freind of mine) can work in US on H visa. What would be the pros and cons.
------ NO problem working in US on H1, or O 1 visa, he can stay out of Canada for 3 years from his landing date
There are rumors which say if you leave Canada more than 6 months you will have to reapply for the immigration again. My friend is reluctant to take that risk if any to get into a low paid job.
---- --Where did you read the rumors? That was old law before June 28th 2002 that required your presence in Canada for 6 months in any year that law has gone

If it is safe can one start working immediately after applying for the H visa or You still have to wait to get the visa processed like in the old times.

------The IT is not good in US or in Canada at this time, one can only work in US on H1B visa once H1B Petition is approved and the petition has to be sponsored by employer and he should have real job, many companies in US now don’t sponsor new H1b visa, if they have any opening they search for the person who is in US on H1b visa, they transfer H1 b visa and the person can immediately join them.
For new H1b visa INS takes 6-8 month now to approve or deny the petition INS is going to be merged in new agency DHS on January 23rd and more delays are expected for approvals of different kind of petitions, no body is sure what is going to happen, US is also not being seen a secure country for immigrants or foreign workers at this time, Canada is much better to live but does not have jobs, if your friend can start his any business with help from friends in Canada that will be much better because IT job is difficult to find in Canada

make sure if you come to Canada you have some unique skills or money to start your own business.

Thanks

Thanks Inder and Mercury for the excellent answer.

We are trying to make a decision this week depending on the situation. I am not sure if the employer would want to wait for 6 TO 9 Months. I thought the situation of the H-1 application has improved( not withstanding the recent INS debacle) since there are less applicants.

Can he start working voluntarily till he gets his visa. He will not be out of status I would guess since he has PR card ( I know canada PR card means nothing in US). At least he is not making an illegal stay. What is your valuable comments Seniors?

Has anyone recently gotten any new H visa ? can you share your experience:confused: