1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work permit with tourist visa

Discussion in 'General B Visa and Related Issues' started by rocks860, Oct 8, 2017.

1. rocks860

rocks860 New Member

Hi there,
    My sister lives with me, and she has a green card. She has one year here in the US. A guy is dating her, but he is does not have a green card. He got here with a tourist visa, and then he said he applied for a work permit and got accepted. Now he has a job.
    Is his story legit? Is there a way to proof that?
    The thing is, if they get married, and his story is all a lie then chances are he might get deported and banned for 10 years or something.

Also, he said that he is renewing the work permit and he got a letter 3 days ago saying his application is ok.

Any tips will be appreciated

Thank you

2. Pierre82

Pierre82 Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on immigration law but they are several routes to obtain a working permit in the U.S. some of them are via company sponsoring H1B visa or via Asylum. They are some missing pieces on this puzzle and I'm not sure you can get a lot of info on this person. In they case you sister gets married with this person, she can then sponsor him for a green card and several background checks are done before its approved. The person can get deported and banned in the case they are in the country without a legal status and its a process that takes sometime for it to happen.

The formal removal of an alien from the United States when the alien has been found removable for violating the immigration laws. Deportation is ordered by an immigration judge without any punishment being imposed or contemplated.