• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Won Diversity visa program 2013 but really need help to decide!!!!

taanna

Registered Users (C)
Hello, everyone

I recently won Diversity visa program 2013 ,aka Green Card Lottery. Since I am currently in the US and my case number is not too high (2013AS00008xxx), I am thinking about doing adjustment of status. But I have a few things that I concern.

I am a F-1 student. I graduated from Strayer University, Master degree in Educational management in 2011. When I apply for OPT in Dec 2011, I asked them if I have to repeat the class that I got C and they said no, I only had the research paper to finish and I would be done, so I went ahead and apply for OPT.

In January 2011, My OPT got approved. I got the working authorization card saying that I can legally work from 02/07/2011 to 02/06/2012, so I went back to school to trying to get my Diploma.
Then, I couldn't get my diploma because, they said I had to retake the class that they said before that I don't need to retake. Unfortunately, I had to retake that class. They also told me that during that time, I could not work full time. I can only work maximum of 20 hours a week unti I'm done with the last class. I had been working at Construction company with no pay since (I did reported to them). In September 2011, I got baby sitting job and still work at the construction company at the same time. I got paid from baby sitting job and even file for taxes. Now my OPT is done, I had transfered to Evergreen Academy, which is an English as a second school. I was hoping to study there,then take the toefl, working on all the qualifications and apply to PhD program. On May 2012. I found out that I won the green card lottery,so the PhD program now is on hold. I just want to get my green card first and then I can try to apply later.

So Here are the questions

- Should I still do Adjustment of status here in the US?
- Is it safer to go back home and have and interview there?
- As long as I have my valid I-20, I am still in status right? I really concern because as you can see I have a lot of confusion during my OPT year.
- Since I won The green card lottery, What form do I used for my sponsor and who can be my sponsor?

If I you could help me with these Questions, so I could decide what to do next since I need to send DSP-122 to tell them where I would like to be interviewed very soon.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you have a valid I-20 that runs though at least the day you send your I-485 (AOS package), then you're fine to do AOS in the US.

Thank you Amine. I decided to do AOS. I already sent the form DSP122 + 2 photos+ barcode. And 330 fee. :eek: