Will this prevent a green card

Cardhopefull

Approx 25 years ago I was convicted of a theft crime in canada and was given a conditional discharge. I have not had any legal problems since that time. I am working on greencard and on the I-485 they asked about past arrests and I said yes and wrote a description. Will this prevent me from getting a greeen card ?

I think you'll be just fine.They might want you to show them some kind of paperwork from the canadian court though.when i got my citizenship,because i also checked yes, on that same question (traffic offence). My interviewer told me to get the records from the atlanta court showing that i paid my fine and the case has been discharged.
I had about 5 traffic pullovers in about 10yrs of driving here.I believe the INS question was, "have you ever been detained , arrested by any law enforcement authority"

I followed up and found the procedure, for reference of anyone else in this situation here's what you do... If anyone had a discharge prior to 1992 (with no additional incidents) you must contact the RCMP and ask to have the records purged and destroyed. They did this for me in a couple of days after receiving my fax. They were very helpful and accomidating. Details can be found on the rcmp web site but if anyone needs more info send me a note or followup.

I also was granted a conditional discharge, but from every thing I've read, that still counts as a conviction is the US. Even if the record is 'expunged' the US can still (and will ) find it.

Hopefully, I've been misinformed, if not, I will likely be inadmissable to the US!!!

Any info?????