Will the consulate issue us F-1 visas?

AmyLam

Hi,

My husband and I are in F-1 status. We came to the United States four and a half years ago. My husband finished his master degree in computer science. However, he could not find a job during his OPT. To maintain his status, he is now a full time student at a community college taking some classes. I used to be in F-2 status. I changed my status to F-1 about six months ago, and I am now a full time student wanting to get in nursing program. Since I changed my status from F-2 to F-1 inside the United States, the stamp in my passport is still a F-2. I only have a F-1 approval notice from the INS. The visas on our passports will expire at the end of 2005. Therefore, we planned to go back to my home town to apply for new F-1 visas.

My questions are:

1. What is the chance of my husband getting a new F-1 visa if he is only studying at a community college in the United States?

2. What is the chance of me getting a new F-1 visa?

I am concerned over the above questions because we have been in the United States for over four years, our application for new visas may show that we have intention to stay in the United States for good (Actually, we really want to stay in the US for good). Thus, I am worried that the consulate may reject our application because of our intention.

why would you need to go home for new visas? Just because they are expiring? You don't need to renew visas as long as you maintain your status.

I wouldn't risk it. Your hubby is studying in a CC after a Master's degree? Hmmm, I would not risk going back.