Will I be detained?

While "domestic violence" is a deportable offense, it really depends on the way that law is written in your state. ICE can use that charge in some states but not others. ICE isn't going to go to your home or work to arrest you, they are to busy with other things. You might get a NTA in the mail telling you that you will have to appear in from of a judge on a future date. You are better off getting this convict before, rather than after getting your GC. If needed, You should have no problem getting a waiver.

You should be ok! Your pretty much correct that your crime is 'deportable but not inadmissable. If you are going to have problems, they will send a letter, and you will have appeal rights, ICE isn't going to appear on your doorstep until any appeal is past due.

Once you get your GC things change, you will be held to a much higher standard.

Thank you for your response and reassurance. I finally got my interview letter for a date on January. This is NOT a notice to appear before a judge, but a standard interview letter (since my 485 is marriage-based). Hopefully things will go smoothly. I will be accompanied by my immigration attorney. Things have been quite tense for the past two years, and I had to go on anxiety meds. I really hope the interview goes well, that I get my GC, and that I can put this behind me.

I don't know if anyone is reading this thread, but I am starting to stress about the AOS interview next month. I worry that my AOS will be denied and that I will be immediately detained. My lawyer and a few other respondents to this thread and informed me that there is a slim chance of this happening, but I am anxious nonetheless.

Just wanted to provide a quick update that my interview went smoothly and I was approved for a 10 yr GC. The interviewer had already reviewed my file and supporting documentation before calling us in. Her only question was about what happened.

I plan to provide a more detailed report of what I went through and will probably open a separate thread for that.

Thank you to all those to replied to my initial post.

Now that you got your card, you better learn to keep your fíng hands to yourself, violate a single protection order and you are done.

Just wanted to provide a quick update that my interview went smoothly and I was approved for a 10 yr GC. The interviewer had already reviewed my file and supporting documentation before calling us in. Her only question was about what happened.

I plan to provide a more detailed report of what I went through and will probably open a separate thread for that.

Thank you to all those to replied to my initial post.

Hi Folks
I have been a silent reader of these forums, they have been a great source of information. I have a Domestic violence P.C.242/243(a) on my record which was expunged. I wanted to share my interview experience which I had in San jose office.

As mentioned by Niladri in one of his posts, USCIS will have your arrest record. Its good if you have an attorney by your end most of the attorneys know the officers so its a ice breaker. Keep all your paper work court documents ready. If you have used AC-21 and your I-485 is employment based then have all documents handy.
In my case the officer, didnt ask me to explain why the arrest happened in my own words, he asked me for the original documents. It really depends on the officer. He asked me and my wife the original questions of I-485 form.

At the end he said we can approve your case, since dates are not current, the cards will be mailed once the dates get current . My PD is Nov 2005 EB2 India.

This is for benefit of all who have a domestic violence conviction.

I am not an attorney, this is just my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a victim of domestic violence, but since my cat was born in the US, he gets away with it. :(

Now, at the port of entry, USCIS is checking on everyone's fingerprints, even you got your green card, do you think you may still get troubles at the port of entry?

Hi Folks
I have been a silent reader of these forums, they have been a great source of information. I have a Domestic violence P.C.242/243(a) on my record which was expunged. I wanted to share my interview experience which I had in San jose office.

As mentioned by Niladri in one of his posts, USCIS will have your arrest record. Its good if you have an attorney by your end most of the attorneys know the officers so its a ice breaker. Keep all your paper work court documents ready. If you have used AC-21 and your I-485 is employment based then have all documents handy.
In my case the officer, didnt ask me to explain why the arrest happened in my own words, he asked me for the original documents. It really depends on the officer. He asked me and my wife the original questions of I-485 form.

At the end he said we can approve your case, since dates are not current, the cards will be mailed once the dates get current . My PD is Nov 2005 EB2 India.

This is for benefit of all who have a domestic violence conviction.

I am not an attorney, this is just my experience.