Will abandoning green card affect future chances of immigration

mushy11

Registered Users (C)
I activated my diversity lottery green card at my POE in September of 2013. I was 21 at the time and had only saved up enough money to last, pending I secured a job and apartment; which I didn't while there. I came home with the intent to go back over after saving a better chunk of money, but have not been able to get back to the US since then.

I want to reside in the US one day, and I would like to know people's opinions on my best course of action now -- if I abandon my greencard (officially) will that affect my chances of qualifying for a diversity lottery card in the future, should I be lucky enough to be drawn twice?

I have not paid taxes as I honestly don't know where to start as my local accountants have no knowledge of the US tax system, so I need to find an accountant elsewhere to help with that.

I have kept my bank account open since being back in my home country, paying $10 US every month to keep it open. Will it help my case in the future if I keep it open?

Thank you for all your help, I feel very sad about officially abandoning the card but I want to focus on being back there one day and setting myself up to have a good chance of that happening.

It won't but I wish you did reentry permit and kept it. I think it's too late for that.

It won't but I wish you did reentry permit and kept it. I think it's too late for that.
I wish I did too.. It literally keeps me up at night with regret. Although by now the permit probably wouldn't last this long anyway :(

Thank you for your reply, greatly appreciated

Remember also that--depending on the amount of assets you have in your foreign (non-US) bank accounts--you may also have FBAR / IRS reporting requirements. This is quite a serious obligation and my understanding is that the obligation remains active until you affirmatively file Form I-407 with a US consulate abroad--simply living outside the US long enough to probably terminate your green card will not terminate your FBAR requirements.

Good luck--hopefully in future it will work out better for you in the US.