Why are some desis afraid of visa stamping in India?

snd

Registered Users (C)
I see these umpteen postings asking for information on getting their visa stamping done in Mexico or Canada. I don\'t understand why some desis are afraid of getting their visa stamping done in India. If one\'s case is legitimate one has no reason to fear. I have done my H-1B visa stamping and renewal both at the Chennai consulate and on both occasions it was a breeze. Why go through hassle of visiting Mexico or Canada when you can get it done while you are vacationing in India. I am confused, may be there are more complications than I think! I just wanted to share my perplexity.

it used to be a breeze...

I have renewed my visa twice from India, but now a days you
dont get it the same day...if you are not from one of the 4
metros then it is a hasle waiting in chennai/bbay to get a visa
after 2-3 days. plus with the new you never know when the
consulates could be closed..

Delhi takes even longer ...

The Delhi Embassy seems to be taking 7-10 working days to return your passport back to you - and then there is the problem of the drop-box - what gave these people that it makes the whole process convinient.

Earlier, you used to know immediately if you are getting the Visa or not - now it may take days before the Embassy people find a fault in your application, and still call you in for an interview. Even if there is nothing wrong, and you are still getting the Visa, you won\'t know for sure for 1-2 weeks - the curiosity definitely kills the cat.

Visa tracking available

I got H1 visa stamps twice from Mumbai - one this Dec (2001) and the previous one in 1999. In 1999, I went for the interview and in 2001 went through drop box. Both times I had no difficulty in getting the stamp. In fact, the drop box procedure is awesome. You submit the documents at a Visa Facilitation Service and get the passport back by courier in 2 days. No waiting in line to apply and collect the passport. Also, one can track the progress of one\'s case if the processing takes longer than 3 days.

SND you are absolutely right that if one\'s case is legitimate then one need not worry at all. Going through Canada/Mexico seems to be an unnecessary pain (and costly too!).

Once again ...

Once again, all this is true only for Bombay - there are 4 drop-box locations, you get your passport back in 2-3 working days, and you can even track your passport online (if it takes longer than 3 days).

I have spoken to many people who have applied in Delhi, and although many think it is an easier procedure, it still takes almost 2 weeks to get your Visa. Unfortunately, that is where I\'ll have to go on my trip to India next week. Let\'s see how it goes.

As for Canada/Mexico, I don\'t think it is that much of a waste of money - you can combine it with a vacation, and even visit a different city each time - I went to Vancouver last year, and had a great time (especially when my firm paid for the whole trip).

Bye for now - Prashant.

Prashant: Will you post your experience?

Hi Prashant

I am also from Delhi and would be going for a visit to Delhi sometime in March. When will you coming back? Could you please post your experience with the Drop Box thing and its convenience when you comeback? It would be great.

Thanks

Nitin

because of uncertainity in the consular officer decisions ..

Hi all,

I have got my H1-B papers in Aug 2001 and went for visa to chennai.
They sent me a letter asking
US comp photographs
US comp tax returns
inside/outside photogrpahs of current comp...etc

I have submitted all the requested info .
Surprisingly my case was reffered to AFU .

After a year i got VISA from chennai consulate.

Ok getting adoubt and doing the verification will never be questioned
and it infact helps genune candidates .

BUT HOW MUCH TIME THEY TOOK FOR VERIFICATION IS REALLY THE ISSUE THE CONSULATE PERSONNEL HAVE TO RETHINK AND THE SYSTEM SHOULD WORK ACCORDINGLY.

So that is the reason why many of applicants are fearing before appearing for VISA