• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Where to live in USA (was Fl or Ca)?

Haha...that was a funny comparison with the cars...actually, we have seen so many great cars on the streets of LA...and they all seem to be so clean and shiny!!....it must be the sunny, dry weather or something. When ever we are in Germany, everything seems so dark and rather dirty. It is always such a shock to see the difference. I felt the same in FL...the meticulously landscaped streetscape everywhere...no trash on the streets (almost)...the clean cars, the bright sunlight, etc.

Thanks for the well wishes for May, fingers crossed :)

How are you and your family doing in SF? I'm sure you feel as if you have been living there for years already!!

Yeah we are very happy, settling in. We are actually in the TriValley area on the East Bay and I just closed on a building lot today - so we are officially putting down roots. Loving it. Really.

Yep, I read that some time ago that you settled there. You will build a shed the size of an American barn which will house 1 Porsche, 1 Mercedes, 1 Ferrari, 1 VW Beetle and 1 Jaguar, and not to forget the Harley Davidson. LOL :D

:D you sound like my father. He also doesn't understand why we would go live somewhere where there are earthquakes.
I asked him to get me the data for number of people dead from earthquakes in CA over the past century vs those dead along the east coast from blizzards in the north to hurricanes in the south, etc. Funnily he went a bit quiet after that.

But of course, absolutely, if you are scared of earthquakes you should avoid CA. One should realise, however, that most states come up with things to kill you (quakes, blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes....)
I have been doing quite a bit of reading about southern half states and true, each and every one of them has something from mother nature - earthquakes , fires and mudslides, hurricanes, storms tornadoes etc.
Any comment on piedmont area, MD?

I have been doing quite a bit of reading about southern half states and true, each and every one of them has something from mother nature - earthquakes , fires and mudslides, hurricanes, storms tornadoes etc.
Any comment on piedmont area, MD?

I have a comment on Piedmont area. It is in West Virginia.

Looks like it is very cheap and has high unemployment. UNless you have a good reason to go there, I would look elsewhere.

http://www.areavibes.com/piedmont-wv/livability/

@Britsimon , @SusieQQQ , Thanks for this information. My wife who is into research in agri., has a potential offer that looks good in this area! From a Baltimore based co.
I really cannot think of moving into some crime hub. I am intending to relocate partly because of this.

@Britsimon , @SusieQQQ , Thanks for this information. My wife who is into research in agri., has a potential offer that looks good in this area! From a Baltimore based co.
I really cannot think of moving into some crime hub. I am intending to relocate partly because of this.
Maybe you want to see if there is a reasonable commute town near by that is better to live in.

Maybe you want to see if there is a reasonable commute town near by that is better to live in.
We might have to Think of other options. She is not in the forum so i can tell without fear of being heard, she is not into good driving! That is a handicap:mad:

Yep, I read that some time ago that you settled there. You will build a shed the size of an American barn which will house 1 Porsche, 1 Mercedes, 1 Ferrari, 1 VW Beetle and 1 Jaguar, and not to forget the Harley Davidson. LOL :D
Is B.Simon A car collector especially European ones? German (car )Engineering is exceptional but the car does not always have to be glossy, shimmering Black!

Americans are awful drivers, so she'll fit right in.
Is that right? Driving is an' i care for life' and also livelihood skill.For instance she Just won't touch a joystick ( manual) yet we do quite a bit of offroad riding, or maneuver through city center in a small car.
I hope you don't mean this poor.

Is that right? Driving is an' i care for life' and also livelihood skill.For instance she Just won't touch a joystick ( manual) yet we do quite a bit of offroad riding, or maneuver through city center in a small car.
I hope you don't mean this poor.

Very few Americans would cope with a stick shift and the roads (lanes) are huge.

Very few Americans would cope with a stick shift and the roads (lanes) are huge.
Americans like their cars big so road makers have to do big lanes. The lanes must also cater for some maneuvering when surfaces are slippery.
You are less likely to fall asleep when driving a manual, hahaha.
A gizmo that won't start due to a loose socket /small sensor issue can really deflate your day. A junk? just figure out the few wires or push it slightly downhill the engine kicks.Am with Guriix on this one!
No grudge against gizmos though, I own one though I would never ever attempt even a few off road inches in it.
All said, it is comforting to see that we have chance of fitting in!

Last edited:
Hi Folks.

Since I might be moving in next few months I was checking possible destination and found this site. Not sure if it was mentioned before but seems to have decent amount of info about most of cities in the US. I was specifically interested in crime rates and finding a safe place to settle. Few "completely random" locations below look quite interesting :)

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ks/olathe/crime/

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/jupiter/crime/

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/livermore/crime/

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/chicago/crime/

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/miami/crime/

But to be honest, you really need to be looking more closely and check specific neighbourhoods and areas of the city :) And of course pay the subscription :rolleyes:
Uncle,
Kansas is awesome, cops are everywhere, I never lock my doors...
Come join me here, its a lovely city, if the safety is important for you. You wil be served.....
Its really the best place, especially for new immigrants. And later on, we will al join si'm on in LA lol

Ps: if you decide to join me. I will kick any bad ass that will dare bother you ! :)

Uncle,
Kansas is awesome, cops are everywhere, I never lock my doors...
Come join me here, its a lovely city, if the safety is important for you. You wil be served.....
Its really the best place, especially for new immigrants. And later on, we will al join si'm on in LA lol

Ps: if you decide to join me. I will kick any bad ass that will dare bother you ! :)

Thanks for the offer Vladdy. :) But these days having a lot of cops around might not be that safe :confused: On the other hand cops generally do not shoot "snow flakes" like me. At least not at first. Being Afro-American seems to increase your chances of turning into a target practice :(