Where is the final OCI approval made?

My consulate in New York. They say not to apply for OCI without getting SC first. Different consulates/embassy have different standards.

It is amazing how different office of the same department have different set of rules.

Definitely OCI granting is not done in India. Only the printing. The future date in the web site is because the NIC servers are hosted in India. When the Consulate grants OCI, they update the India servers which is GMT+5.30. That is why you see a difference.

When I applied my OCI with Houston on March (trust me they were super fast at that time). I mailed my app on 9-MAR, received & acked by Houston on 11-MAR EST (acked date 12-MAR IST), OCI granted on 12-MAR EST(13-Mar IST).

There exists no courier service that can deliver mails from US to India in less than 24 hours.

rpranesh, all your information is in the OCI system when you entered your data online to create your application in the first place. Once your photo and signature is scanned into the system, the Ministry of Home Affairs in New Delhi will have all your information electronically available in the system. They can easily then review and grant the OCI in the system without the need for the physical application to get to them.

There exists no courier service that can deliver mails from US to India in less than 24 hours.[/QUOTE said:
You are correct that OCI granting is done here. As the website is nic.in it will have Indian time.

But you are wrong in the last part. Most of Embassy/Consulate mail travel by Diplomatic bags and can reach either way in 24 hours.

Anyway in the end, I was only curious when I asked the question and don't really care where it is done as long as it is done. The point about the NIC servers and Indian time is well taken. I just checked my OCI status now and saw that my OCI has finally reached the CGINY and it has a received date of tomorrow (Dec 31) instead of today, Dec 30.

You are correct that OCI granting is done here. As the website is nic.in it will have Indian time.

But you are wrong in the last part. Most of Embassy/Consulate mail travel by Diplomatic bags and can reach either way in 24 hours.

Not possible in 24 hours.Flying time alone is around 20+ hours. The time to travel from the consulate to the local airport, delhi airport to MHA and plus time to enter in the system will be definitely more than 24 hours. We all know our good old Indian Government and they are not that fast (especially for regular cases).

Since the thing is that I want to tell you that the director is appointed consultants reported that the Ferrier Hodgson MH Sdn Bhd manufactures and restructuring activities in the assessment and implementation plans.

Per Chicago consulate officials(?), entire OCI processing takes place at local consulate except printing of OCI documents. All OCI related documents transfer for all applicants is done electronically; no courier/postal business to send applications to India. OCI status of "Acknowledgement" means application has been received. Photo is scanned at consulate where application has been sent; any rejections of photos is done by printing press in India :)
SO, time taken to acknowledge is a true representation of lack of efficiency at local consulate. I understand some section of this forum community does not agree with inefficiencies of local consulate(s), but truth is a fact that hurts when said outloud.

The fact that the time lag between acknowledged/ scanned and granted is a few days for the Chicago/ New York/ Washington consulates and lately, either several days or more than a month for the Houston CGI leads me to believe that the processing/ granting, etc is all done at the consulates and the printing is done in India. From the recent time-lines I have seen, there is essentially no time lag between granted and printed, but time between scanned and granted is a function of which consulate the application is made at.

For example, my application at the Houston consulate took 3 months to get acknowledged, and 15+ days after being acknowledged/ scanned, it's still under process. I've settled in for the long haul; not expecting to hear anything any time soon.

My 2 paisa!