When to apply for Citizenship

kevinimf

Hello,
My wife and I got married around Nov 2010. She was in F1 status and I was on GC back then.
I did apply for GC for my wife and she received the GC around Oct 2013.
I became naturalized citizen around Dec 2014.
We have been living in US all these days and do meet the continuous residence clause.

Will my wife qualify for 3 years rule (being wife of US citizen) or should wait for 5 years (since I was on GC when we got married) before she applies her citizenship?

I mean, can I submit N-400 for my wife in July 2016 (90 days before 3 years - Oct 2016) or should wait till Oct 2018?

Thanks in advance.

She will qualify to file under the 3 year rule 3 years after you became a citizen, which is Dec 2017. The 3 year rule is 3 years as a permanent resident and married to a US citizen for 3 years.

Hello,
My wife and I got married around Nov 2010. She was in F1 status and I was on GC back then.
I did apply for GC for my wife and she received the GC around Oct 2013.
I became naturalized citizen around Dec 2014.
We have been living in US all these days and do meet the continuous residence clause.

Will my wife qualify for 3 years rule (being wife of US citizen) or should wait for 5 years (since I was on GC when we got married) before she applies her citizenship?

I mean, can I submit N-400 for my wife in July 2016 (90 days before 3 years - Oct 2016) or should wait till Oct 2018?

Thanks in advance.

Hello kevinimf,

After Oct 2016 only She's eligible to file the form N-400 under the 3 years rule.

Last edited by a moderator: