When should I apply to renew my RTD?

algorithm

Registered Users (C)
Hello members,
When do you think I should apply to renew my RTD? My RTD will expire mid June and I am planning to travel on mid July. I am GC holder and can not get NP.

Is it a good idea to apply for RTD renewal 2 months before the expiration date of the current one?? The processing time shows 3 months

I will appreciate any response. Thank you

You should renew it right now if you don't need to use it until your July trip. Attach a letter explaining why you need it then, and if the reason for travel is compelling, ask for an expedited RTD. Also, if you don't need to travel to Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and some other European countries (visa free with the RTD), think about applying for a Re-Entry Permit instead, which will be valid for 2 years. That will save you a lot of time and money.

You should renew it right now if you don't need to use it until your July trip. Attach a letter explaining why you need it then, and if the reason for travel is compelling, ask for an expedited RTD. Also, if you don't need to travel to Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and some other European countries (visa free with the RTD), think about applying for a Re-Entry Permit instead, which will be valid for 2 years. That will save you a lot of time and money.

Hey Cafeconleche,
In my case I don't have the Green Card yet just the Refugee Travel Document. I'm not sure If I want to get my citizenship, so I will wait for a while.

Will I have problems if I get the Re-entry insted of the RTD? As far as I know, Re-entre is for people who pretend to stay out of the country for over a period of 12 months. It's a pain in the *** to renew the RTD every single year and the California fee is almost $400,00.

Hey Cafeconleche,
In my case I don't have the Green Card yet just the Refugee Travel Document. I'm not sure If I want to get my citizenship, so I will wait for a while.

Will I have problems if I get the Re-entry insted of the RTD? As far as I know, Re-entre is for people who pretend to stay out of the country for over a period of 12 months. It's a pain in the *** to renew the RTD every single year and the California fee is almost $400,00.

Without a greencard, you can't have REP.

You can't get an RP until you're an LPR, so you have to stick to your RTD. It costs $220 including the biometric fee, not $400. There has been a reduction in cost, so you're in luck. I know it's a pain, but this is what we asylees have to deal with- an RTD with a ridiculous validity period.