When do I get a SSN after Biometrics

help12

Registered Users (C)
I just had my biometrics taken on Sept. 6. I was told that I should be expecting a temporary SSN so that I can start employment in the U.S. because it will take up to another 6 months to get a interview date. Im in desperate need of a JOB. My question is: 1.) Is it true I will grant permission to get a SSN till then 2.) If yes, how long will it take to recieve a temporary SSN after my biometrics.

ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED!!!

Did you apply for AND get an EAD (Employment Authorization Document)? You need one of those if you want to work before getting a green card.

More importantly, you need an EAD to get a SS#, although you weren't very specific about the details of your particular case. If you don't have an EAD, it will take a maximum of 90 days from your Receipt Date to get one (some much less). With EAD in hand, you go to the SS office and apply for a number. It can take anywhere from one week to six weeks to get your SS Card in hand. Good luck :)

How to APPLY for EAD

Thanks to those for a quick response.

Questions:

How do I apply for a EAD?
Can I do it myself?

I have a family lawyer but she is just horrible and very unresponsive when I need her. She never mentioned about needing to apply for one. She just said I would automatically get it in the mail. If I can I would hire another lawyer however it is too late for that. So again any suggestions will be very helpful.

help12 said:
Thanks to those for a quick response.

Questions:

How do I apply for a EAD?
Can I do it myself?

I have a family lawyer but she is just horrible and very unresponsive when I need her. She never mentioned about needing to apply for one. She just said I would automatically get it in the mail. If I can I would hire another lawyer however it is too late for that. So again any suggestions will be very helpful.

Based on that I would definitely dump the lawyer (or at least not ask her for immigration help.) The I-765 is the easiest form for this whole process. One page. Just remember for Question 16 put (c)(9)

It will take 2-3 months to get. If you don't get it after 90 days past your receipt date you can make an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office and apply for an IEAD, which is like a temporary one until you get the actual one (or green card even) There's also a $180 fee