Whats after Passport request?

santex24

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My attorney received a request for my passport. I had applied initially in September 2004. Can someone please advise what the next step would be after I send my passport to the consulate in Buffalo? If I receive a request for my passport to stamp my visa, does that mean I have successfully completed all the requirements and that I only need to land in order to become a permanent resident? How much time will I be given to complete the landing process? Please advise...

Congratulations Santex.

I don't know the answer to your question but I would like to know the various application steps that you had to follow.

It would help me with my application. I have recently started the PR application.

Yes, you have completed the process. They will stamp the visa and send your passport back. The visa will have the date before which you have to land. Usually its 1 year from your medical.

Good luck

Cdn. Passport - what needs to be done to keep it alive ?

Hi

I had a couple of questions:

a) My wife received a letter for the written test from Canada Immigration and Citizenship in Dec 05, as she had met all conditions for becoming a Canadian Citizen.

b) We have taken time and informed them that we need a longer notice in terms of days as we are living in a different country (rescheduling of written test date). They had given us a couple of days notice.

c) Her I-94 (US visa valid till 08/2008) is issued under Indian Passport, and therefore, could she have issues if she travels to Canada now (I-485 not yet applied for due to retrogession. I have applied for I-140 under EB-1)

d) If she does not appear for the next written test and let us say does not travel to Canada in the near future (say 3 years) would she lose her right to become a Canadian Citizen ? In other words, can she go to Canada at any point on time and request for Canadian Citizenship, after having lived in the USA for say 3 years, continuously, without visiting Canada at all during those 3 years ?

Please advise

Regards

My comments are below:

PB904207 said:
Hi

a) My wife received a letter for the written test from Canada Immigration and Citizenship in Dec 05, as she had met all conditions for becoming a Canadian Citizen.
--> Living in the USA, you should make every effort to sit for the citizenship exam.

b) We have taken time and informed them that we need a longer notice in terms of days as we are living in a different country (rescheduling of written test date). They had given us a couple of days notice.
--> Although your wife has applied for her citizenship, please note that she is still a Canadian PR, This means that the PR laws apply to her - and she can only remain outside of Canada for a maximum of 3 years in every 5 year period. She must also demonstrate ties to Canada is she is to keep her PR status.

c) Her I-94 (US visa valid till 08/2008) is issued under Indian Passport, and therefore, could she have issues if she travels to Canada now (I-485 not yet applied for due to retrogession. I have applied for I-140 under EB-1)
--> Canada need not know her status in the USA. All she needs to present at the point-of-entry is her valid PR card (Maple Leaf card). This is the only document she needs to re-enter Canada.

d) If she does not appear for the next written test and let us say does not travel to Canada in the near future (say 3 years) would she lose her right to become a Canadian Citizen ? In other words, can she go to Canada at any point on time and request for Canadian Citizenship, after having lived in the USA for say 3 years, continuously, without visiting Canada at all during those 3 years ?
--> She will loose her eligibility to apply for citizenship. The law clearly states that a Canadian PR must have accumulated 1095 days of physical presence - that's 3 years - in 4 years preceeding the citizenship application. If your wife is going to stay out for 3 years, she will have to go back and live in Canada another 3 years (1 year outside + 3 years inside - 4 years) to be eligible to apply for citizenship the second time. My advice to you would be to go ahead and complete the application regardless of inconveniece or cost.