What the hell is wrong with political asylume laws here ?

M. Clarke

I am about to file for a political asylum case but my lawyer told me I will have to wait for 150 days before I get my EAD. What the hell am I suppose to do all that time ? How on earth am I gonna make some money to live ? I will literally be out in the streets by the end of this month. I certainly cannot go back home nor receive benefits from it. I am also ineligible for UN IBC camps for admitted refugees and political asylee because I have been granted it yet( If I understand this correctly). Should I go to homeless shelter ?

Am I screwed now ? Please help me to get on my feet.

What are my options here ?
1- Work illegally ? etc....

Hello Thank you for sharing, and I am so Sorry you are in that state.
I was in similar situation about 4 years ago, I was upset, disappointed and frustrated then I realized just like any other asylum applicants we have privileges and very little rights and that is reality with immigration system that is so broken. [Be Thankful you are here stay patient].

One Privilege we have is safety from COP [country of claimed persecution.] You have a long way to go especially with the backlog ,Even with first EAD it takes about 4 months to be issued.

You can request for services of Para legal or Social Case Manager to help you find volunteer/economic development opportunities, Immigration status neutral activities , and housing.

Guys, also please remember that you are seeking asylum. It's a privilege, and an incredibly generous path to legal residence. Consider the fact that many people would like to live in the USA but spend years and small fortunes to achive that dream. I get that you are having to leave your COP, but perhaps you should show a little less ingratitude/contempt toward a system and country that gives you a safe haven.

Guys, also please remember that you are seeking asylum. It's a privilege, and an incredibly generous path to legal residence. Consider the fact that many people would like to live in the USA but spend years and small fortunes to achive that dream. I get that you are having to leave your COP, but perhaps you should show a little less ingratitude/contempt toward a system and country that gives you a safe haven.

Thank you for reminding me that , I am always super appreciative to US for giving me safety and generosity