What is Police Clearance Certificate, India

dde

Registered Users (C)
My parents' green card application has been approved. Needless to say I am over the moon. I wish to thank this forum, especially member bigbull99, for all the help and support.

I know there are many threads and posts on police clearance, not only in this forum but on many other sites on the net. However, none gave me an unequivocal answer when I was searching. Hence this post.

1. There are two kinds of police certificates possible. One from the local police and the other from the local passport office.

2. The one local passport office is generally called police clearance certificate. What the police station/local police/district police give is police certificate of various other types.

3. Please determine from an official source, eg document checklist site of US embassy where interview will take place, whether you need just the clearance from the local passport office or both.

In case of parents it reads "police clearance from local passport office".

4. For above you have to fill in something called form 2 (available online) and submit to local/regional passport office, along with passport, current photos and two proofs of residence eg electricity bill etc.

5. The police clearance itself consists of a document issued by the Govt of India, Ministry of External Affairs, Regional Passport Office and bears the heading POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE. It reads "There is no information against XYZ holder of Indian Passport No ABC..... which would render him/her ineligible for the grant of travel facilities including visa for: (the name of the country eg USA). It will be signed by/for Regional Passport Officer and bear the stamp of ministry of eternal affairs.

6. The passport will have a stamp headed 'Observation'. The stamp will include 'endorsement#' (same as the ref no. on the above document), date and 'P.C.C. issued for'..... (the name of the country eg USA). Again it will be signed by/for the regional passport office and bear the stamp of ministry of external affairs.

7. The original #5 (the document) will have to be submitted to NVC along with the other documents like birth cert etc.

8. The NVC checklist (for my parents) read:
"10 - PASSPORT POLICE CERTIFICATE A"
which referred to the above stamp in the passport.

Some forums/sites eg immihelp state all applicants >16yrs holding passports >6months also need a certificate from local police. We went through many anxious days as my parents were told that police clearance consisted of one document + stamp in passport, nothing more. That is, nothing from any police station.
I am posting this in case anyone else faces the same dilemma.

Thank you once again, especially bigbull99!

My parents' green card application has been approved. Needless to say I am over the moon. I wish to thank this forum, especially member bigbull99, for all the help and support.

I know there are many threads and posts on police clearance, not only in this forum but on many other sites on the net. However, none gave me an unequivocal answer when I was searching. Hence this post.

1. There are two kinds of police certificates possible. One from the local police and the other from the local passport office.

2. The one local passport office is generally called police clearance certificate. What the police station/local police/district police give is police certificate of various other types.

3. Please determine from an official source, eg document checklist site of US embassy where interview will take place, whether you need just the clearance from the local passport office or both.

4. For above you have to fill in something called form 2 (available online) and submit to local/regional passport office, along with passport, current photos and two proofs of residence eg electricity bill etc.

5. The police clearance itself consists of a document issued by the Govt of India, Ministry of External Affairs, Regional Passport Office and bears the heading POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE. It reads "There is no information against XYZ holder of Indian Passport No ABC..... which would render him/her ineligible for the grant of travel facilities including visa for: (the name of the country eg USA). It will be signed by/for Regional Passport Officer and bear the stamp of ministry of eternal affairs.

6. The passport will have a stamp headed 'Observation'. The stamp will include 'endorsement#' (same as the ref no. on the above document), date and 'P.C.C. issued for'..... (the name of the country eg USA). Again it will be signed by/for the regional passport office and bear the stamp of ministry of external affairs.

7. The original #5 (the document) will have to be submitted to NVC along with the other documents like birth cert etc.

Some forums/sites eg immihelp state all applicants >16yrs holding passports >6months also need a certificate from local police. We went through many anxious days as my parents were told that police clearance consisted of one document + stamp in passport, nothing more. That is, nothing from any police station.

Good. I am glad you parents process is over. What a releaf Ha? I know. I went through this in Feb 2011.
There are very few people who will post the process of any kind after they are done with. I think if people who have finished their process, come back and help the new once going through the process it would be helpfull.
Any ways , good luck, and hope you will be having fun with them soon in USA. Welcome to USA, form my side.

thanks bigbull99 for all your good wishes and support! the relief is tremendous. yes, those who 'have been there' can give very valuable advice. i am sure i will have many qs in future, even after they come eg filing tax returns etc. they are old but still will have to file return in the us, right? hope someone has addressed the issue somewhere!

thanks bigbull99 for all your good wishes and support! the relief is tremendous. yes, those who 'have been there' can give very valuable advice. i am sure i will have many qs in future, even after they come eg filing tax returns etc. they are old but still will have to file return in the us, right? hope someone has addressed the issue somewhere!

Yes, if they work in USA they have to file taxes. If they live with you and do not work, and you take care of them , then you can claim them in your taxes as dependents.

Congratulations on your parents GC and thanks for this helpful post.

I just wanted to clarify one thing......so for parents you only need this police certificate from passport office and not from the local police station? Also, did your parents have birth certificates or did you give non availability of BC form? Is there a specific format or just whatever the govt. Office issues.? I'm asking bcoz my parents went to the Delhi municipal office that deals with NABCs and my mother was issued a certificate saying births were not registered before 1969 etc. and not a particular certificate stating her birth record is not available! I'm not sure that will suffice! Please,if you know anything more,let me know.

I just wanted to clarify one thing......so for parents you only need this police certificate from passport office and not from the local police station? Also, did your parents have birth certificates or did you give non availability of BC form? Is there a specific format or just whatever the govt. Office issues.? I'm asking bcoz my parents went to the Delhi municipal office that deals with NABCs and my mother was issued a certificate saying births were not registered before 1969 etc. and not a particular certificate stating her birth record is not available! I'm not sure that will suffice! Please,if you know anything more,let me know.

I live in AndhraPradesh,For me they issued it on Form 10, it says on the top: Non Availability certificate. I think it should be same every where, If the local office issued you, then they should have given you the right one.

I live in AndhraPradesh,For me they issued it on Form 10, it says on the top: Non Availability certificate. I think it should be same every where, If the local office issued you, then they should have given you the right one.

My parents went to about 3 offices( tossed from one to the other) and finally for my mom they issued one right away but they did not know about Form 10( I had told my parents to ask for it)......it does not say 'non availability certificate' ......and it does not incorporate her name in the format,just her name details at the bottom left corner and stamp and sign of 'deputy registrar general,india'. This was issued by the census department ,ministry of home affairs:confused:

My parents went to about 3 offices( tossed from one to the other) and finally for my mom they issued one right away but they did not know about Form 10( I had told my parents to ask for it)......it does not say 'non availability certificate' ......and it does not incorporate her name in the format,just her name details at the bottom left corner and stamp and sign of 'deputy registrar general,india'. This was issued by the census department ,ministry of home affairs:confused:

I guess if it had the seal of the governament agency, it should be the right one. In Andhra during 1994 the governament was run by Mr.Naiudu.From TDP, he really did a good job in getting things organised. I guess it was during that time all these forms got incorporated to the government agencies, adn are beeing used now.
It should be fine. it it has the seal of the Census department.

Yes, parents needed police clearance as given by local passport office (one document and an endorsement stamp in passport). Nothing from any police station.

Both parents had birth cert issues. Mother did not have birth cert. She got non-availability cert. It has form 10 written on top and is headed
Non-Availability Certificate
(Issued under section 17 of the Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969).
She also had to give an affidavit from an elder brother (since both her parents are long deceased) verifying her birth and that no birth cert was made.
When we searched the net re what should be done in cases like hers (no birth cert), some sites said 2 affidavits from individuals who were close enough to verify birth. But she could get only one and that was sufficient.

Father has birth cert but it does not bear his name! Probably from Indian custom of giving name at later date. He had to apply to Municipal Corporation (where birth was originally registered) and they gave him another cert (Form 5 Birth Cert) with inclusion of name.

Hope this helps.

Thanks dde......one last question.....where did you apply for the non availability certificate? I mean which city?

Advice for Getting Police Clearance Certificate for Parents Green Card

My mother's green card has been approved, and we are collecting documentation needed for DS-230. One of the documents needed is a Police Clearance Certificate. She went to the Mumbai CID office but was told she needs a letter from US authorities, or Embassy that such a certificate is needed for the GC.

I read on this forum that for parents, only a Clearance certificate from the passport office is needed.

Please, can someone who has been thru this process confirm ?. I see problems in acquiring the letter from US authorities as it is very difficult to contact the NVC.

Any advice is appreciated !.

VR

My mother's green card has been approved, and we are collecting documentation needed for DS-230. One of the documents needed is a Police Clearance Certificate. She went to the Mumbai CID office but was told she needs a letter from US authorities, or Embassy that such a certificate is needed for the GC.

I read on this forum that for parents, only a Clearance certificate from the passport office is needed.

Please, can someone who has been thru this process confirm ?. I see problems in acquiring the letter from US authorities as it is very difficult to contact the NVC.

Any advice is appreciated !.

VR

Go to atravel agent, pay him some money, there is form 2 which your mom needs to sign with a passport pic, he will send the form along with the passport to the passport office, it will take around 4-8 weeks for you get it back.it will be mailed to youe house

Go to atravel agent, pay him some money, there is form 2 which your mom needs to sign with a passport pic, he will send the form along with the passport to the passport office, it will take around 4-8 weeks for you get it back.it will be mailed to youe house

bigbull99, thanks for your reply.

She already has the certificate from the passport office, it is the police clearance from police/CID that is in question.

Is that form required ?. And, how should I get a letter from the US authorities stating the certificate is needed for her GC.

Thanks,
VR

bigbull99, thanks for your reply.

She already has the certificate from the passport office, it is the police clearance from police/CID that is in question.

Is that form required ?. And, how should I get a letter from the US authorities stating the certificate is needed for her GC.

Thanks,
VR

The passport office will put a stamp in the indian passport , stating that police clearence has been issued for USA, and issue a letter with the pic on it, usually it is the Form 2,which you submit. so that is how my dad got it in india. No need to go to police or CID, or contact USCIS.

Any travel agents contects for Form 2 Police certificate

=============

Thanks you!! This is exactly the information I was looking for. Much apprecited for sharing. I have a question.

I am applying immigration for my father. One of the requirement of form DS-230, as I understand, is to submit police certificate. Your post helped answer the question to get it from local passport office. Here is my question though.
a) My fathers passport was issues from Lucknow office several years back; but since last two years his residence is Delhi. Can he submit form 2 from Delhi passport office?
b) He is in Ahmedabad from last three month (for all the practicle/official purpose the Delhi is still his residence). Does he need to go to Delhi passport office by himself or can this be done through a travel agency.
c) Can anyone recomment a travel agengy I can look to assist submit the form and get the police certificate. He is too old to travel just to submit this form

Thanks you again for sharing very useful information.
-a

Yes, if they work in USA they have to file taxes. If they live with you and do not work, and you take care of them , then you can claim them in your taxes as dependents.

If my parents lve in a separate residence ....does it matter tax-wise if they buy it or we? It would be in the $100,000-150,000 range. Also,if they do not work but live separately,do they still have to file a return or can we claim them as dependants? Thanks.