What are advantages and disadvantages of USA citizenship

Yup,

it is. Plus it is nuts to do. On top, in your US Pass it states that your brith place is Germany for example. Doesn't imply dual citizenship, but could certainly raise eyebrows.

Yup,

it is. Plus it is nuts to do. On top, in your US Pass it states that your brith place is Germany for example. Doesn't imply dual citizenship, but could certainly raise eyebrows.

EU doesn't have uniform laws about this. It may be in some countries, and not in others.

Nope, there is, trust me - would need to dig it out somewhere, but you can basically find it out via the embassy.

Isn't that a contradiction?

If I am a citizen (and need to proove that), why would I enter with a different passport in which I potentially need a visa and have visitor limitations?

Sorry, I'll drop this, it's splitting hairs.

One of the disadvantages which did not get mentioned on this discussion is the fact that US citizens tend to become the target of terrorists in some countries. Check out all the travel advisories on the state dept's website. Generally US citizens are asked to keep a low profile while travelling in certain countries.

Hope the current administration is able to change the way that other countries perceive the United States and its citizens.

One of the disadvantages which did not get mentioned on this discussion is the fact that US citizens tend to become the target of terrorists in some countries. Check out all the travel advisories on the state dept's website. Generally US citizens are asked to keep a low profile while travelling in certain countries.

Hope the current administration is able to change the way that other countries perceive the United States and its citizens.

That's a bit of reality mixed with a lot of hype.

No, isn't.

My wife and I once traveled to Switzerland by car from Germany. The border patrol didn't gave a rats about me (travelling on german passport), but grilled my wife (US) for 15 min.

Further, whenever I go to Mexico, I receive a very warm welcome as a German, as "Gringo" it's different.

On top, as a German I have less visa requirements for most countries.

No, isn't.

My wife and I once traveled to Switzerland by car from Germany. The border patrol didn't gave a rats about me (travelling on german passport), but grilled my wife (US) for 15 min.

Further, whenever I go to Mexico, I receive a very warm welcome as a German, as "Gringo" it's different.

On top, as a German I have less visa requirements for most countries.

Good for you. But you're just 1, out of 300,000,000.

Good for you. But you're just 1, out of 300,000,000.

What on Earth does that mean? If you're referring to MartinAub's situation then I wouldn't be surprised in there's close to a million people who are dual nationals of the US and an EU country.

What on Earth does that mean? If you're referring to MartinAub's situation then I wouldn't be surprised in there's close to a million people who are dual nationals of the US and an EU country.

His experience as a "Gringo" being treated badly in Mexico because of a US passport, while true, is irrelevant, as it is basically an anecdote from 1 out of 300 million US citizens. Just because MartinAub got treated as a "Gringo" in Mexico, does not mean that all Americans are treated worse than someone with an EU passport. Also, according to this list, you get visa-free access to 155 countries/territories with a German passport - the same as with a US passport.

Also, according to this list, you get visa-free access to 155 countries/territories with a German passport - the same as with a US passport.
A more useful comparison would be how many countries you can freely live and work in (either without any form of permit or with permission that is automatically granted regardless of situation) based on your citizenship. For Germans (and citizens of other EU countries) it will be at least 27. I suspect for US citizens it is rather closer to 1.

I wonder if the list is accurate.
Italy has 154, the US has 155.
I know for sure that when my wife (then girlfriend) and I went to Brazil, she needed a visa at the Consulate and I was fine without it.
Anyways, you can say that with a US or EU passport you could pretty much go anywhere in the world with no problem...

A more useful comparison would be how many countries you can freely live and work in (either without any form of permit or with permission that is automatically granted regardless of situation) based on your citizenship. For Germans (and citizens of other EU countries) it will be at least 27. I suspect for US citizens it is rather closer to 1.

The EU is a union of states, much like the US, so a better comparison would be:

1. The US with its 50 states
2. The EU with its 27 states

The EU is a union of states, much like the US, so a better comparison would be:

1. The US with its 50 states
2. The EU with its 27 states
Not a valid comparison at all. Every EU member country has its own system of government and laws. How can you possibly suggest that, for example, the UK (a constitutional monarchy), France (a republic) and Luxembourg (a Grand Duchy) are related in the same way as, say, Texas, Alabama and Florida.

If you want to try and draw an analogy between an EU country and the states of the US then the countries of the UK - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, would be a more valid comparison though not the same, since the balance of power within the UK is skewed towards England whereas in the US the states have nominally equal power. The only other country I can think of that is a true comparison to the US (individual states with a neutral federal capital) is Australia.

The point is that:

Given that we all want to become USC, I don't see any disadvantage in having dual citizenship, especially if US/EU dual citizenship.
As matter of facts, my wife (USC) has an appointment on July 2 at the Italian Consulate in NYC to apply for her italian citizenship. It takes up to two year with endless documentation, but it's still worth it.

Not a valid comparison at all. Every EU member country has its own system of government and laws. How can you possibly suggest that, for example, the UK (a constitutional monarchy), France (a republic) and Luxembourg (a Grand Duchy) are related in the same way as, say, Texas, Alabama and Florida.

The only major difference is that all states are republican forms of governance (mandated by the US constitution). However, you will find significant variations in taxation, civil and criminal laws and even governmental structure (not all states have bicameral legislatures) between the 50 states. Behind the superficial similarity, there are significant differences.

I would suggest that New York and Louisiana and Wyoming have as many differences as some EU nations.

The only other country I can think of that is a true comparison to the US (individual states with a neutral federal capital) is Australia.

Canada comes to mind, despite not having a neutral federal capital - which is a bit of a red herring anyways. Brazil also does.

It is very valid. The EU is a union of states, and the US is a union of states. It matters very little how they're internally regulated as long as they are bound by Union laws and treaties. Not every state in the American Union has the same laws or traditions as the other one either, so the comparison is more than valid.

If you want to try and draw an analogy between an EU country and the states of the US then the countries of the UK - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, would be a more valid comparison though not the same, since the balance of power within the UK is skewed towards England whereas in the US the states have nominally equal power. The only other country I can think of that is a true comparison to the US (individual states with a neutral federal capital) is Australia.

I am only drawing an analogy between the union of states known as the European Union, and the union of states known as the United States of America. And on a related note, there isn't a single state in the American Union where a citizen of said union is unable to work in, but the same is not true of the European Union. If you're Romanian or Bulgarian, times are tough in this European Union.