• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Welcome all!!

Britsimon

Super Moderator
Welcome to the DV lottery subforum! Let's hope this forum quickly becomes the central hub of knowledge that the old forum represented!

:mad:Okay Simon, did you have anything directly to do with this? I wish some sort of warning notice had been issued stating on so and so day, and at so and so time, the old forum would be taken down. Yes, I was aware of the plan to bring on board this new forum, but I just wish it wasn't done in the midst of one trying to respond to a post/message and one would have been given the opportunity to note down pertinent information.

Oh well, such is life.

And I'm certainly not trying to sound like a cry-baby, but ......................

Anyway, I may grow to love this new one afterall ;)

LOL MOm - I promise it wasn't me. I had offered my recommendation that they consider XenForo (which is what they are now using), but like you I was "surprised" by the unannounced change. There is also a response from Mr Khanna to my question about whether the old data would come across or not. I am surprised that is even a debate frankly.

I see you are enjoying the emoticons!

You folks would not believe how long and valiantly we struggled to slay the bugs. Try googling "vbulletin 5 sucks." This was not an easy decision. But, I am inclined to move on and make lemonade.

We are still working on the dear, almost, departed, but it does not look good. My hope is to at least have a read- only version, but who knows. May be we can still get it to work. Sorry guys. We tried.

My team wants us to sue the software vendor. I am thinking about it.

LOL - I appreciate the lemonade analogy - and completely understand. However, I do hope you can bring the old data because it is a goldmine of information and is the reason your forum comes to the top of searches (at least on almost any DV related topic). I'm sure DV doesn't pay its way compared to other aspects of the forum (to you as the interested owner), but it is a valuable resource nonetheless.

For a casual user the old software (when it was working) probably wasn't a huge issue, but there are several of us that are persistent users and some of them have resorted to using another forum to continue their "work" of helping DV selectees.

Thanks for the update - I'm sure people will appreciate seeing your thoughts - and also thanks for hosting us!

I don't give up easily. If nothing else, we will write a SQL query to pull the data and present it as static HTML. I am not concerned about forums making money. That comes from word of mouth. This is creative and fun.

Oh, I just remembered, we actually have a one month old back up that was not corrupted by this byte delight. We can always import that into another copy of this software or stuff it in the maw of vBulletin 4. Either way, it will work out.

Do you guys need to choose a moderator for your effort? If so, drop a line here. I will need to speak with them. This forum lets us upload and organize files of all sorts in nested folders.

I do hope the information, threads from the last forum are brought over here. It was really comforting to have all that information at hand, answers to previous posts I and other people had put up, going through the dv process.

Oh well, hopefully we can get a Australia DV 2014 thread back up soon!

Yah!! I hope you can recover the past Dv forums. I had bookmarked a couple of forum pages on my browser for future reference, the pages had wealth of info i was going to use while processing my applications. I hope and pray you can recover them. Otherwise will have to start from scratch. As britsimon has mentioned above some people have and are migrating to other forums.

Yah!! I hope you can recover the past Dv forums. I had bookmarked a couple of forum pages on my browser for future reference, the pages had wealth of info i was going to use while processing my applications. I hope and pray you can recover them. Otherwise will have to start from scratch. As britsimon has mentioned above some people have and are migrating to other forums.

People migrating is quite understandable. We will get the info back. But it will take a few days.

You folks would not believe how long and valiantly we struggled to slay the bugs. Try googling "vbulletin 5 sucks." This was not an easy decision. But, I am inclined to move on and make lemonade.

We are still working on the dear, almost, departed, but it does not look good. My hope is to at least have a read- only version, but who knows. May be we can still get it to work. Sorry guys. We tried.

My team wants us to sue the software vendor. I am thinking about it.

Thanks for the tireless efforts you're putting into trying to get things back on track. I, on a personal note, truly appreciate your presence here and the fact that you're making a lot of effort to communicate the issues you're dealing with and the attempts your group is making to get things resolved and provide a better forum for member's use. I appreciate your presence and efforts at appeasing upset members of the forum, not many leaders have been known to engage people the way you're doing, so THANK YOU! and good luck to your group and business.

I don't give up easily. If nothing else, we will write a SQL query to pull the data and present it as static HTML. I am not concerned about forums making money. That comes from word of mouth. This is creative and fun.

Oh, I just remembered, we actually have a one month old back up that was not corrupted by this byte delight. We can always import that into another copy of this software or stuff it in the maw of vBulletin 4. Either way, it will work out.

Do you guys need to choose a moderator for your effort? If so, drop a line here. I will need to speak with them. This forum lets us upload and organize files of all sorts in nested folders.

I see that the old forum is up running again. My suggestion however would be to make that one a 'Read Only' since it contains such a great deal of useful information. That forum should have a flashing banner with a link directing traffic to this new one, so that people can come over here and post their questions.

Regarding moderator, I nominate 'Britsimon'. He's been doing such a fantastic job on both the old forum and this new one also, I see no reason why he shouldn't be a moderator. Thank you for your consideration.

Very good suggestion. Monica, is it safe to leave them on? Should we pull a more recent back up? I think the hang up in the query as not a problem with Rackspace backup, it was the buggy forum. What you can do is, start a backup when you are around to watch over it. If the sites misbehave, discontinue the backup. We have a good one from a month ago, any way. Monica, please participate in our discussion. I will move these posts to a more pertinent thread.

Thanks for the tireless efforts you're putting into trying to get things back on track. I, on a personal note, truly appreciate your presence here and the fact that you're making a lot of effort to communicate the issues you're dealing with and the attempts your group is making to get things resolved and provide a better forum for member's use. I appreciate your presence and efforts at appeasing upset members of the forum, not many leaders have been known to engage people the way you're doing, so THANK YOU! and good luck to your group and business.

Ditto this.

Hello I made it here.

Rajiv- Just so you know, there seems to be a bug where the confirmation email doesnt send if the new member registers with an email account with a .com.au suffix. I resent 3 times and never got the email. So I just changed my email to a gmail account and the confirmation email came immediately. Thanks :)

Hello I made it here.

Rajiv- Just so you know, there seems to be a bug where the confirmation email doesnt send if the new member registers with an email account with a .com.au suffix. I resent 3 times and never got the email. So I just changed my email to a gmail account and the confirmation email came immediately. Thanks :)

Wow - that is a wierd one!

Glad you made it here!

Hello I made it here.

Had to do exactly the same. Waited a day or so and nothing. Used gmail address and it worked instantly !!!

Apologies to those waiting for so long to get the elusive confirmation email. This issue has been brought to the attention of the site owners and it's being investigated.

The confirmation email is usually sent within seconds of registering. So for anyone experiencing an unusual delay in receiving it, may I please suggest you create a new .com email address pending the resolution of this issue?

Thank you!