Warning

EAD approved

Today i checked the online message and it says my EAD is approved and will be mailed to u, dont know how long the mail will take............

Congratulations!!

Rock and Roll Bro ... Haa haa ... You lucky Devil, now you'll get the Damn GC before all of us. Don't worry, it's normally less than 15 days to get it in the mail. Again, what the heck, you already got it, worst case, you'll show the print out of the web page to the judge ... once again, don't forget to be accompanied by a lawyer when you see the judge. Get a good one. Whatever it takes bro, beg, borrow or steal ... Let us know. I'm truly surprised how you got the approval that quick, it took me six months ... is Vermont moving a little faster now? Anyway, I'm truely glad for you. God Bless. :D

shourav

Thanx bro, i have no idea whats goin on, i really appreciate ur kind words, u r good man. i am workin on a good lawyer but then how would i know if he/she is good or not??? i hope no body gets into this shit..........

One question what is AP??

You R Welcome

AP is Advance Parole. This is the permission that will let you go out of country while your I485 is pending. Now, if you're out of status for over 180 days, you almost have no chance of getting approval. Even if you do, they'll get you while getting back in. You know INS, they break their own rules all the time. Take my advice, don't make any move like that until you get your GC.

By the way, the easiest way to find a good lawyer is to find out how much they charge. Good ones normally charge you more. Also, you can always consult with the people running this website.
You can try the following sites too:

www.murthy.com
www.immihelp.com
www.usvisanews.com

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s done, Finally (At least for a year …)

I finally had the (Stupid) registration done yesterday at Arlington VA, BCIS office. All this time we were hearing that the officers are nice and polite; definitely not in DC. We were treated as criminals. Luckily, I had my lawyer present and had a I-485(245i) pending. They seem to be a little easy on the people with I-485 pending. The same office detained a lot of people before with the same credentials. But, recently, I think, they heard something from higher ups about this. Because, after they messed up several times due to their ignorance, a lot of people sued INS/BCIS and even some in the US Senate were complaining about this. Also, it is not true that BCIS is not detaining people without criminal records. I’ve seen that happening yesterday. Anyway, here is my story:

Came here with F-1 visa. Could not go to school full time due to monetary reasons. Visa expired on May 30, 1999. Worked illegally. Took advantage of the 245(i), got a sponsor an applied for:
Labor Cert. (Approved)
I-140 (Application for Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker; Approved)
I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization; Approved)
I-485 (Application for Adjustment of Status; Pending since Aug 23, 2002)

At BCIS:

Arrived at 9:30 am. Line was very small. We (4 of us) actually had to wait for our lawyer until 10:30. Meanwhile, collected and filled up the form. We were at the 1st floor and within less than ½ hour one of us was called in. While waiting at the waiting room, a BCIS officer and a police officer came by and did a quick scan for paper works. Three Bangladeshi-s were taken to 3rd floor of investigation. None of them had criminal records. We survived because of the magic paper, I-485 receipt. Worked like a charm; even though that did not seem to be a guarantee. Every thing seemed to be on a case-by-case basis. The person before me came with Visitor’s visa and later converted to F-1; didn’t seem to have a problem case. He was kept there for an hour. All of a sudden a police officer came and detained him. Even though, he had valid status, the school he was going to recently lost accreditation from Govt. to issue I-20 to foreign students. He didn’t know that, but still he was hand cuffed and taken to 3rd floor to post bond or something. Seeing all that I almost spoiled my clothing and kept on praying. Luckily my lawyer was there. That gave me hope. And off course, the environment was not friendly at all. They looked at us like we were some kind of germ. The interviewer was a scary old lady (barely a human). Then my number was up. I went in, took oath and the questioning began. Initially, looking at my papers she took my picture and finger print, I thought may be it’s over. But as soon as she saw my old I-94, she started asking more questions. I told her flat that I could not continue school due to monetary reasons and I have to support my Mom since dad died. She shook her head, looked at my lawyer, and went back to asking regular questions about my work and stuff. At last, she asked for all the ID-s, credit card or bank card I had. Then took my finger print and picture again and told me that if my I-485 is still pending next year, I’d have to register within 10 days before of after the current date next year. If my case is approved, I’d still need to go to let them know so that they can they can close my case. I was in for about an hour. I don’t think I even breathed during that time. My experience is that if you have I-485 pending but I-140 is not approved, you will be in trouble; specially, at Arlington. So far, I found NY and DC are the hardest as far as registration goes. If they find as much as a spot on your status, you are screwed! Specially, students are being hit the hardest. Also, if you have any doubt, pleeeeease, take a lawyer with you. Seeing the interviewing lady, I bet, she might have found something wrong in my case if my lawyer wasn’t present. The best advice I got from these forums is:

“Be specific in you answers and never ever volunteer any information.”

:D

someone help

I just got married two months ago, and I didn't start my papers yet. I also have to do the special registration. If anyone knows it would be a good thing to start the papers before the registration or is it better to just leave the country? Please reply. Thanks.

More Info

I didn't file my I-130, I-485, and I-765. I am planning to start them before I go register which is before April 25. Is it going to help.

Re: More Info

Dude,

Where r u from and what is your BCIS office? Just wondering! 'Cause it varies from nation to nation and office to office. Now, if the person is US citizen, I heard some good lawyers did pull off some cases with form submission receipts and proof of payment of necessary fees. But my question is, what took you so long? Within 2 months you might have even gotten some INS receipt or notice!! :(

If u got married while u were in status u will be fine but if its otherwise, I would put it mildly take a lawyer w/u. INS looks at it in a diff way no matter how solid the marriage is.......

Don't worry

It's only getting better. Just sit tight. You'll get GC before all of us. And when you do, don't forget to let us know. This kind-a case did happen. You know that too, don't you!

By the way, if you got that EAD, which means you must have a sponsor, and if you do, try to get pay stubs from them. That makes the case stronger. Because you now can work legally and pay tax. Move fast! Do you have a lawyer yet! What's his/her verdict?:p

JAN03FILER & SHOURAV

Hi, I've just found this thread and would like to give you my personal experience/case. I am from Indonesia and as you know, one of SR countries. :

1989: Came to US on F1 visa.

1992: Dropped out of school and out-of-status since.

July 93: I-130 (Petition for Relative/Family) approved in July 93 through Dad (GC Holder)

1994: ????????
1996: ????????
1997: ????????
1998: ????????
1999: ????????
2000: ????????
2001: ????????

March 2002: My petition visa became current

April 2002: Hired a lawyer

May 2002: Filed I-485 and received my EAD ten days later (same day issuance office).

March 4, 2003: Got Fingerprinted

March 11, 2003: Got Interviewed....this is where it gets interesting......Case officer stated that everything was fine. FP came back good, paperwork completed and approved, except he needed to fix the change of address. However, he COULDN'T APPROVE my case because there is a new regulation which took into effect since November 2002. It requires all applicants to go through additional security check/name check. According to my lawyer and the officer, it could take days, weeks or even months. As a matter of fact, I have read in one of this forum's threads that there are people who's been waiting since November 2002.

April 21, 2003: Three days before end of registration, I still haven't heard anything about my case, so I decided to go to register. No lawyer, just all my files, passport, EAD, etc. Went there about 7:30 and went directly in (apparently SR didn't have to stay in line outside). However, when I got into the building, there were already about 50 people on SR line in front of me. Waited and waited for until about 1PM and I asked one of the officer if it's ok for me to go get my lunch. He said that my name should be called in an hour or so, and I told him that I should be back before then. Came back and my name was called 15 minutes later. Waited another 5 minutes and got sworn in. Asked same questions that I've already downloaded, printed and filled out from a website. Took less than 30 minutes and was told I need to come back to register again next year if no GC received by then. The officer was very courteous but serious.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH...STAY IN TOUCH!!!

my first court date

last week was my first court date. went in front of the judge, she looked at my papers and asked if i had any responces from ins so the lawyer showed her my EAD and finger printing letters that i recieved and then without asking anything further she said i set the next date in Nov hopefuly by then u have some action taken on ur I-140, then she goes if i recieved anything b4 that, i shell write to her and she might move my date forward. i was like cool m'am and immediatly backed that with thanx ur honer, she looked at me and smiled. i had been told that the judge is very tought and i belive she is but she was nice to me. now i will wait and see if any thing moves on I-140, hopfuly something positive comes out of it.........

Told you!

Told you everything'd be fine! Now they are saying they might get rid of "SP" all together ... did you hear anything?

Approval

I think shourav meant Special Registration - "SR"******By the way, I got my case approved May 22, 2003. It's been a long, long, long wait for me. Passport stamped and I can travel better now.......Permanent card was told could take up to a year. Good luck to you all!! Stay

Jan03Filer

Jan03, I was part of SR but I didn't get NTA because I get my I-551 before that. Please refer to my previous posting. I get my GC on family-based immigration. Good Luck to you and stay in touch...

Yes, I meant "SR", not "SP", my bad ...

By the way, Tigerwoody, can you please post your I485 receipt date, that way we know how long you had to wait and we can go back to crying and waiting again ...
:eek: