W2 form correction ?

newbie2006

Hi All,

I'm on L2 visa. i've worked for about 1 and 1/2 months. I got W2 form from my employer in which the SSN is wrongly mentioned.

Do i have to go back to my employer asking for the correction or Do i have any way to do it myself or by sending the W2 form to any government office, as i'm staying very far from my employers place.
I'm new to these things.

Please advice
:confused:
Thank you

newbie2006 said:
Hi All,

I'm on L2 visa. i've worked for about 1 and 1/2 months. I got W2 form from my employer in which the SSN is wrongly mentioned.

Do i have to go back to my employer asking for the correction or Do i have any way to do it myself or by sending the W2 form to any government office, as i'm staying very far from my employers place.
I'm new to these things.

Please advice
:confused:
Thank you
IMO, you must get this corrected. The question is not only of the W2, but what if your employer has your SSN wrong in the records and is depositing your Income tax/Medicare and other deductions under wrong SSN. This will be a problem for you when you file your tax return and also you will not be receiving the SS benifits. So take it seriously.

Regarding living far away from your employer's place I do not understand your logic. You do not have to personally go to the employer's office. You can use regular or Express or overnight mail as and if needed. May be you don't need it. First talk to your employer, you may not need to send them anything. May be they will correct the W2 and send you a new one.