VWP / Study? Please Help ...

joda

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Does anyone know if you are allowed to study in the US using the VWP (Visa Waiver Program)?

I am not referring to studying a "full time-full blown" degree or masters, but instead I am referring to for example an evening course taken once or twice a week over a 4 week period to obtain career specific certification.

Does it mean that even if you want to attend a very short course in the US you have to apply for an F1 visa? :confused:

If you have a link to official information about this I would be eternally grateful ...

Hi there.
I have heard of people who have entered the US on VWP and taken up short courses like the one you have described, but according to the US Embassy website, this is not permitted.

Here is the link http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html
Its the last paragraph that you will be interested in
"Important reminder Visa-free travel does not include those who plan to study, work or remain more than 90 days. Such travelers need visas. If an immigration official has reason to believe that a visa-free traveler is going to study, work or stay longer than 90 days, the officer will refuse to admit the traveler."

Like I said, people HAVE studied, but it goes against the rules of the VWP and as a result there could/will be serious repocussions if caught out.

Hi 'elcupacabras'

Thanks very much for your reply ... it is a very confusing situation :confused: ... the course that I want to attend is less than the time allowed on the visa waiver i.e. 90 days, and the course is held at the max for a few hours 2x a week, it is actually a preparatory course for professional accreditation.

I do not want to violate the US Immigration law, however the F1 visa process is a rigourous and uncertain as ever, and all for a part-time course ...?

I will probably give the whole thing a miss - what a pity ... :(

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

The law is clear. Students need F1. Its pretty straight forward to get though. Not sure why everyone is so afraid of it.

I wonder if you could get a B-1 visa instead which is for business travels only. May qualify you to undertake a short course related to your work etc. You would not be able to get an F-1, you would need to study full time and the school would have to issue an I-20 based on that. M-1 is another one you can try but again it's not for short courses however it's less strict. I would make an appointment with the local embassy and speak to somebody direct.