Visitor Visa Overstay

ballu79

hi. I came to the US on a visitor visa in 1991 when I was only 10 years old. Now I am 26 and still have no official status. I have been here for over 15 years, all my family is here, so you can understand that this is very frustrating. I graduated high school without problems and have even graduated college without problems. I never tried to get a job in my field which is telecomm because of my status. Right now I work in a motel where they pay me like any other employee. I filled taxes this year and last year. Now I am tired of working in a motel and want to expand my options by working in the telecom industry. Getting a company to sponsor you isn't easy these days, so that option is out. Is getting married my only option of getting legal status or are there any other options? I was wondering also if anyone knows enough about the new laws that have been proposed and supposedly passed in senate today about immigration? Any kind of advice of help will be greatly appreciated.

As you know, you are in a very bad situation. To my best knowledge, marriage to a citizen seems to be the only way out. As you where inspected on entry, you would be eligible for a GC if you where the spouse of a citizen.

Sponsorship through an employer is out. Up to 4/30/01, you would have been able to get your GC that way despite your overstay. That was the last time, any sort of forgiveness for overstays was given by the goverment.

I wouldn't put too much hope into the new law. After congress passes it, USCIS has to implement it. And they are known to twist some of the laws coming down from congress into a pretzel completely contraverting the intent of the legislature. So until the implementation rules from USCIS are out, nobody can tell whether the law currently discussed will offer an option for you.

Thank You for replying. I was afraid of that. Do you think there is a problem with the way im working right now? In a hourly paying motel job? What is the difference between this job and any other salary paying job that I could get working for a telecom company or any company that doesn't require security clearance?

Well, the hotel is less likely to question your credentials. But as you know, you are on thin ice. Keep a low profile, keep taillights in your car intact, allways wear a suit and tie when you leave your house and see what opportunities the new law brings (or if you happen to find a US citizen spouse).

Any job change has a potential that you run into trouble. And the higher up you get jobwise, the more damaging your status can become.

Just be sure to NOT do one thing: NEVER pretend to be a citizen or produce fake citizenship documents. This is the only crime that can bar you from any sort of relief.

With your degree, you might be able to work self-employed on a TIN.