Visitor Visa ................ I-94 extension

Anitha Kosanam

Registered Users (C)
My in-laws got 6 months visitor visa and they entered U.S. on Feb. 18th but the immigration officer at the port of entry gave I-94 for only 3 months(valid till May 18th). Do I need to send paper work for extension or can they go to Canada and while coming back, can they get the I-94 extended for another 3 months (which makes it valid till August 18th)?
Since they got their I-94 for only 3 months, is it OK to get it extended for another three months or will they have problems next time they appear for visitor visa? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No Title

My in-laws got 6 months visitor visa and they entered U.S. on Feb. 18th but the immigration officer at the port of entry gave I-94 for only 3 months(valid till May 18th). Do I need to send paper work for extension or can they go to Canada and while coming back, can they get the I-94 extended for another 3 months (which makes it valid till August 18th)?
Since they got their I-94 for only 3 months, is it OK to get it extended for another three months or will they have problems next time they appear for visitor visa? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No Title

Anitha,

Hello. Apply for an extension at least 45 days in advance of the expiry date o the I-94. You have to use form I-539 (pls follow instructions on the form) and apply to the service center that adjudicates your geographical area and NOT the local INS office. Hope this helps.

No Title

Hello VSV,
         Can we get it extended by crossing the border and re-entering U.S? There is a long wait for I-94 extension through I-539 so I was wondering if there is any other way. My in-laws got only 3 months on I-94 when it is typical to get 6 months of stay and moreover they have 6 months visa. I would appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Anitha

No Title

Anitha,

Sorry,never tried it before. I presume they have a 6 month multiple entry visa. In that case,they should be able to go to Canada and return with a modified I-94. However,I would consult an attorney and get a legal opinion before your parents leave the US.

No Title

Anitha

Do you know the reason why they gave just 3 months stay. When did your parents went for Visa stamping.

Thanks

No Title

My in-laws got 6 months visa and they went for visa sometime during last week of January. They got only 3 months of stay on their I-94. It seems the immigration officer asked them how many months they would like to stay and my father-in-law wanted to play it safe and told him that he is planning to stay couple of months(thinking that he might reject if he says that he wants to stay for 6 months)so the immigration officer gave 3 months of stay on I-94. Hope I answered your question.

No Title

Thanks for your response. Actually one of my friend was telling me that if you go for stamping 2-3 months before the actual travel date then they might create problems.....so just wanted to check.

By the way where did they go for Visa stamping..( I heard in Delhi they only issue 10 year visa)...and where was port of entry.

Thanks again