Visitor Visa extension for parents visiting from India

ibcd19

Background:
My parents who are here in CA on a visitor visa (10 year multiple entry) since July 24th of this year.
Their current stamp expires in January 2013.
Their current return flight date is Jan 18, 2013 (that will mark about 5.5 months stay in US by that date.)

We need to extend their stay by another 3 to 4 months for family reasons. So I need to file I-539.

I-539 questions:
(1) I see that I can submit one form for both of them. The form instructions say that it requires $290 as filing fees. It doesn't say however that whether $290 is for one person or for one form. So, do I need to send $290 OR $290 x 2 = $580?

(2) And, the following confuses me. On searching Google for some help, one website says the following on B1/B2 extension: "As far as an intention to depart is concerned, the applicant should include in their filing a copy of a return plane ticket reflecting a set departure date within the extended period being requested." --- My question is: How can one extend current plane ticket without getting visa extended? Do we really need to do that? And, what if one doesn't get the extension, then they lose their earlier ticket. Please clarify this. Thanks.

Thanks a lot in advance for your responses.

Best regards.

I did not get responses from anyone on this post, but I was able to get some answers and what I am planning to do....

(1) The fees for the form are only $290. Basically, if both parents are on the same form (or children are on it), the total fees for filing this form is $290 only.

(2) I am just sending the copies of existing return tickets and once I get the extension, we'll extend the tickets.

I am posting this just so that it can benefit others.

Hey ibcd19, thanks for your post.
Did u get the extension.
I want to apply for my mom, what are the good reasons for the application.
Can we say, she wants to stay to spend time with me.

I did not get responses from anyone on this post, but I was able to get some answers and what I am planning to do....

(1) The fees for the form are only $290. Basically, if both parents are on the same form (or children are on it), the total fees for filing this form is $290 only.

(2) I am just sending the copies of existing return tickets and once I get the extension, we'll extend the tickets.

I am posting this just so that it can benefit others.

Hi all! I also had my mom's stay extended way back 2011 for another 6 months and they did approve it and the processing was pretty fast. I sent them an explanation along with the application that we wanted to travel, etc and needed more time since my husband was in the military. you just need to prove to them that you can provide everything for your mom/dad while they are still here since they are not allowed to work. Good luck!