• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

visas while waiting for DV

lk626

Dear all,

I have filed DV2008 and I am waiting for (hopefully positive) news and notification.

However, I should visit US in the meantime for tourist and business purposes. As far as I know, when applying for such (B1/B2?) visa, I should state and confirm my "non-immigration" intention, which might be a slight problem because I filed DV lottery and it's an obvious contradiction.

Does anybody know what happens if I apply for B1/2, and in the meantime I receive my DV notification where I clearly state my immigrating intention? Did anybody have such or similar experience?

Is it possible to obtain DV visa soon after applying for and receiving B visa? How should I explain my sudden change of intention, from business visit to immigrating?

Thank you in advance and best of luck to everybody here.

Kind regards,

L.

If you have an immigrant case pending, the US embassy will not issue a non-immigrant visa for you presumably.

Some people say that participating in DV Lottery -regardless of wining or not- might make your non-immigrant visa process risky because the consular might come to the conclusion that you won't leave the US. Nonetheless, your immigrant intention will not be officially announced until you fill in and send back the DS-230 form.

If you have an immigrant case pending, the US embassy will not issue a non-immigrant visa for you presumably.

Some people say that participating in DV Lottery -regardless of wining or not- might make your non-immigrant visa process risky because the consular might come to the conclusion that you won't leave the US. Nonetheless, your immigrant intention will not be officially announced until you fill in and send back the DS-230 form.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. This is exactly what I wanted to know :)

L.

IK626,
Do watever you do but don't become illegal.
If you go out of status, your DV will be automatically invalid.

IK626,
Do watever you do but don't become illegal.
If you go out of status, your DV will be automatically invalid.

Hi Udi,

Thanks for your comment. I am not going to become illegal - I wouldn't do it for anything.

I was just concerned would requesting a business and/or tourist visa ruin my chances of receiving a DV in the future because of relatively sudden transition from non-immigration to immigration intention.

Regards,

L.

nahh... don't worry about it. Getting a non-immigrant visa won't affect your chances. For your information, KCC handles DV-lottery, NVC handles visa issuance and USCIS handles your status.

NVC will not know about your application for DV until you get selected and you fill out the forms included in Notification Letter.

In my case, I have been filling out DV lottery for last 12-13 years. that didn't stop me from getting F-1 student visa (non-immigrant visa) 6 years ago and being a non-immigrant didn't affect my chances of being selected for DV2007 last year.