Visa Screen for New TN application

TOFU81

I need help. Has anyone heard of a Visa screening? I got a new job in Virginia so I went home to Canada to re-enter and apply for a TN visit. I got denied today because I did not have the visa screening. Is this new? I was approved for a TN visa 7 months ago. Side note: I am still currently employed from the previous employer. I am a Canadian citizen educated in US as a Registered nurse. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Saw this: https://www.cbp.gov/site-page/visascreen

"Some Health Care Workers (RN, PT, PA, Speech, etc.) require a VisaScreen in addition to an Employment Letter and Proof of professional qualifications. For more information on a VisaScreen visit the CGFNS International website."

"
Purpose of VisaScreen®?
Section 343 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (the IIRIRA) of 1996 requires specific health care professionals to complete a screening program before they can receive either a permanent or temporary occupational visa, including Trade NAFTA status.
"

Seems like this is a requirement which is why they pushed you for it, although its a bit surprising since you mentioned you are educated in the US (CBP might be going by the book here though that anyone requesting TN status needs to have this). Did you tell them that you are US educated and may not require this?

It is my understanding that even if educated in US, a nurse must still get a GGFNS certificate, or, alternatively, she could sit her NCLEX-RN exam. I'm surprised this was not an issue at the time of your 1st TN, but it seems that the rwquirement of a valid certificate can come up at any re-admission.

Thank you for the reply. Do you guys know if my current TN visa is still valid.? I changed my flight for another day, do you think there would be problem for me returning back to US? Thanks

As I said, if visa screen is required it is required for entry, even if you have a TN. No doubt the lack of visa screen has been noted on your file. In fact, it would seem you were denied entry, not just denied a new TN, is that the case?

As I said, if visa screen is required it is required for entry, even if you have a TN. No doubt the lack of visa screen has been noted on your file. In fact, it would seem you were denied entry, not just denied a new TN, is that the case?
Sorry for my ignorance but how would I know if I was denied entry? The CBP did not say anything about denying my entry. He told me he can't give me my TN because I don't have the Visa Screen. I decided to rebook my ticket thinking I can get all requirements done by Saturday so I can reapply.

That is why I asked. Did they cancel your previous TN? If not, then you were not denied entry. but you could see yourself denied entry this weekend, because, as I've said twice now, a visa screen requirement applies to WHATEVER TN entry you make, even on an existing one.

Just to add to what nelsona said, given the issue that you had when trying to get the TN, I'd make the next attempt *only* after getting the visa screen. Otherwise you are likely risking another denial

Some states may not. However it would appear that the Feds, for immigration purposes, do.