• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Visa Lottery Winner From Rwanda Reaches ‘Top of the Mountain’

Here's another "american Dream" although don't think this was DV... Still an illustration of the kind of opportunities you can get (or get for your children).
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/harold-ekeh-17-long-island-gets-accepted-all-eight-ivy-n337506

(By the way, for those who aren't aware, most or all of the ivies as well as some others like MIT are needs blind - that is, you are admitted irrespective of your financial situation and if your family cannot afford it the school funds you - so this is really a dream that is open to everyone regardless of financial situation.)

I was valedictorian too in my graduate studies in the US with 4.0/4.0 GPA. Interestingly, It has not helped me much in my professional career, so far.
So how did you go go about try in to slice out your 'profitable share of the pie'?

So how did you go go about try in to slice out your 'profitable share of the pie'?
I hear this quote from Richard Quest on CNN all the time. With my profits I can get a slice of the pie every now and then, and I am crazy about sweet stuff.
As I am frugal, I've been on a diet. I lost 12 kg in the last three month.

I hear this quote from Richard Quest on CNN all the time. With my profits I can get a slice of the pie every now and then, and I am crazy about sweet stuff.
As I am frugal, I've been on a diet. I lost 12 kg in the last three month.
OMG!

In my valedictory speech I quoted Jonny Wilkinson who was paraphrasing a Roman philosopher: "Luck - it is when an ability meets an opportunity".
Trailblazing = 49% effort,49% talent and 2% luck.
you won't get a country that knows how to combine these three than USA.

Yeah but your parents weren't poor immigrants who couldn't speak English.
I am pretty sure the poor immigrants in the US are in a better position (eventhough they have to learn a new language), than the poorest of the poor in the original country. My parents are a single mother with two sons in the country where being poor was a standard, and we were below being poor.
I had to wear some castoff light garments in -33 C, which is quite an experience. Cup of tea and a chunk of rye bread was my daily ration. Since I have been physically fit, I remeber fainting of starvation only several times.

My point is that for a lot of immigrants the minimum wage is an epic upgrade. And it follows that, since they are just so pathologically frugal, they can do much more than with much less (fund children's education while on minimum wage, for example).
They see opportunities where locals of comparable social status, who don't know any worse, see none.

I am pretty sure the poor immigrants in the US are in a better position (eventhough they have to learn a new language), than the poorest of the poor in the original country. My parents are a single mother with two sons in the country where being poor was a standard, and we were below being poor.
I had to wear some castoff light garments in -33 C, which is quite an experience. Cup of tea and a chunk of rye bread was my daily ration. Since I have been physically fit, I remeber fainting of starvation only several times.

My point is that for a lot of immigrants the minimum wage is an epic upgrade. And it follows that, since they are just so pathologically frugal, they can do much more than with much less (fund children's education while on minimum wage, for example).
They see opportunities where locals of comparable social status, who don't know any worse, see none.

The point of this thread was how immigrants coming from poor backgrounds can succeed in the U.S., whether for themselves or getting a better life for their children.